Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So...I hear you guys get no power?

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
    Then of course the neighbors with crap for brains started lighting off their damned aerials. Was almost like New Year's Eve out here.
    On the bright side, the neigbors depleted their fireworks supplies last night, so maybe New Year's will be less of a war zone.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

As soon as the power went out last night I grabbed my headlamp and we got the battery powered lanterns turned on.

I set aside 6 gallons of water right away. There's a portable toilet system available. And I always have more than a dozen MREs always handy.

We hadn't had dinner so leftovers were warmed up on a butane stove.

I got the refrigerator on a generator right away and stuck a digital thermometer probe into the freezer to monitor the internal temp without having to open the door. Turned off the generator at 9 pm to save gas and was going to turn it back on once the freezer got to 30 degrees.

When I checked the temp at 5 am it was at 28 degrees. Then I noticed the streetlamps were on. So I plugged the fridge back into the wall socket. End of crisis.

My 4-year-old granddaughter was chatting away and playing with a cardboard tube, so she didn't miss not having a TV.

It's situations like these which make me think about how much power do we really need to get by. Except that everything I do is on a computer. And the other things I do require power tools.

Comment

Props to whoever made sure cells phones still worked during the outage. I don't remember if they went out during our last big blackout. It was good to be able to touch base with my parents.

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        the BF decided to make shadow puppets on the high rise condo next to us, setting off howling dogs everywhere!
        LOL. Wish I had thought of that!

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
        While that happened my furnace gave out cause the snow covered the pipe where the smoke can vent out so I like shivered through the whole night.
        Sup Pedro. Long time no see. Anyways, bummer about the furnace. An outage on the mainland, during winter, can be deadly. My in-laws have an oil furnace, which doesn't require electricity, but the fans which distribute the heat throughout the house do

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        I, on the other hand, want to thank Julia Norton Dennis and the KSSK crew for their excellent coverage.
        Cool. Sadly we did not have a radio with us.

Originally posted by Adri View Post
        Yeah, it was fun to stand outside looking at the stars and chatting a little with neighbors.
        Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        It was fun to meet up with other neighbors who had the same idea.
        Nothing like a "disaster" to make neighbors socialize more. I'm glad cold beer was on your safety checklist, TG.

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
        Spent the evening reading and playing board games with our daughter.
        Our kids were scared, so we spent most of the evening talking about the outage. Kids held up pretty well, until our youngest cried when she realized she couldn't drink any milk, just water. The straw which broke the camel's back and all that. After that we played some Uno.

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        As soon as the power went out last night I grabbed my headlamp
        /salute Composite for being prepared

More than the portable generators and MREs, the headlamp shows you're a survivalist. It's important to have light, but it's even better to have two hands free while you use it.

I myself was not well prepared. I even forgot to fill the bath tub with water. My friend on the mainland has a gravity operated water filtration system, which can process a gazillion gallons of water a second. It's also sized to fit the bed of his truck, in case they have to evacuate. Katrina scared him.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          the headlamp shows you're a survivalist. It's important to have light, but it's even better to have two hands free while you use it.
          Nah... just a former Boy Scout. I do quite a bit of work at night so the headlamp is part of my standard equipment. Besides, trying to hold a Maglite in my mouth gets really tough after a few minutes! :-)

Comment

Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

I was walking from Ala Moana Shopping Center and was noticing the lightning flashes in the north west, no thunder.

I got home just around 6:30, turned on the laptop and went to the bathroom, then I noticed one of the lights was getting dimmer, then noticed the rest of the apartment in the dark, except for the laptop.

Managed to find the small maglight on my table thanks to the glow of the laptop. Did notice the maglight batteries was kind of weak and lucky I just purchased a stash of AA alkalines from Costco so I managed to change the batteries for it.

Managed to find another AA powered maglight, another D flashight but those batteries were kind of weak. I know that I have another AA flashlight but I couldn't find that.

Did try to turn on the radio, KUMU was the off the air, couldn't remember KSSK's frequency at first but managed to find that. After about 2 hours or so the signal went dead, turns out the KSSK FM transimitter had no power, but managed to get the AM signal.

Power came back on to my area around 11:30 am or so.

Comment

hi this is sansei and last night as my mom and i were watching the end of wheel of fortune,we lost our power and our power didnt come on till about 8:00 Am and my Vcr worked only the the tv's didnt work until 11:45 am and my computer went on and now im back online and it was no fun in the dark with nothing to watch or do so i went to bed at 11:00 Pm and so did my mom.

I Also at about 7:30 Pm spoke to one of the heco people and they shared used their stress on myself and so this morning at about 6:40 Am,i called Heco and the gentleman who spoke to me when i explained what happened,he shared with me that no customer repersenative shouldnt let the customer know of their stress so the gentleman customer service shared how sorry he was for the customer service lady that she let me know of her stress so i said that's ok,everyone could be this way and he shared your very understanding so im now watching Kbfd tv and it's very relaxing.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Last night's experience convinced me that the major media outlets need to be on Twitter all the time if they are serious about covering news in a timely fashion. I respect KSSK (even if some of its personalities, including the much-respected Ms. Dennis, irritate the heck out of me), but it was the combination of information from the radio and messages from friends on Twitter that kept me as informed as I needed to be.

Official responses were slow in coming at first, yet I knew from Twitter what the power situation was all over the island and was able to contribute some information myself. KSSK's touted posse has nothing on Twitter, because so many of the callers were people who had working phones but no working radios! That meant these people were calling in to GET information, not mostly to report it. Most of the early callers were asking the station what was going on.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Mike Buck handled the KSSK microphone in the early hours of this thing, while Perry and Price were still on their way in. You know what to expect from Perry and Price because they've done this a hundred times. Buck did a great job with what he had, even chiding idiot callers who had stupid comments. I was amused and impressed.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Mike Buck handled the KSSK microphone in the early hours of this thing, while Perry and Price were still on their way in. You know what to expect from Perry and Price because they've done this a hundred times. Buck did a great job with what he had, even chiding idiot callers who had stupid comments. I was amused and impressed.
                  Michael W. Perry did a great job handling that idiot from Akron, OH.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Re: *** Power Outages ***

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
                    Any comments are MORE than welcome!
                    Yeah - why not put this in the already-existing thread about the power outage?

Comment

Hey, Did you all have flashlights? &/or candles?

I sure hope so.

I ended up frantically looking (before the lights went out), for a flash light. Good thing we still have a good pair of D batteries. I stole that from my near by table that we use the batteries to air up our airbed & placed it inside my flash light to work.

Then I was so thankfull, I found some candles that I got on my wedding day (2002), it was suppose to be used for some kind of romatic thing with my husband, but GAWD!!. I don't use that kind of crap to romance my hubby, I got my own special way . I was just glad that those candles I NEVER used, actually came in handy for once in the in the power outages . Hale Luja!!. So remember, ladies, if you don't have candles, those romantic candles that you never use, will actualy come in handy.lol.

Hope everyone is ok now.

I hope & pray that the electricity NEVER goes out again.

I listened to the radio for a little bit, earlier. & it was kinda funny, that in a humorous way that they were actualy blaming the menehunes for the power outages, & they said that the menehunes conspired all to cut off our electricities last night.lol. Alrighty, then. lol.

I got scared of the Thunder. OMG!!. the last time I heard something like that, was when I was younger too. :-(

My hubby was trying to get home early evening, too. (he worked earlier in the day).

I was invited to go to Ala Moana yesterday early in the day, I kept procrastinating, cuz I didn't want to be in the after christmas sale.

Then it started to rain!. Oh My Gosh!!., So, I just cancelled it, & staid home.

Good thing too. My hubby was glad that I staid home, cuz he would have been frantic looking for me (& so would I too) :-(.

I was suppose to meet up with my 2 deaf friends in Ala Moana, but I never did, & all the while, they were both texting me ("where are you?", etc). I already told one of my 2 deaf friends that I was at home & wanted to cancel, & my 2nd deaf friend (texted) asked me again. lol. Oh My Gosh!!., it was like the blind leading the blind with those two.lol.

I like them a lot but, they make me laugh sometimes.lol.

I'm just glad that the power came back on for all of us. Thank God!!. Thank you for those Electricitiy guys to make it happen!!.

Well....

Thats my story, I'm sticking to it.

lol.

Aloha.
                      Last edited by Serenity; December 27, 2008, 01:20 PM.
                      Aches & Pains
                      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Checking in.
                        Glad to hear that all of you are okay. Power came back here just about half an hour ago. We were out for 19-1/2 hours.
                        Gotta go restore all our systems -- timers, security cameras, etc.
                        Checking out...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I agree Mike Buck handled things extremely well as did the KSSK team. For whatever reason the caller from Akron, OH I thought sounded like a prank call, which KSSK received several during the night. Free advertising for all of the local food places and grocery stories who remained open. I only had a few dollars in my pocket and picked up a cold sandwhich at Star Market at Kam Shopping Center. You can't get cash out of a ATM system so it shows how much we rely on power for so many things.

Ironic how the electrical system can be shut down so quickly, yet to turn it back on it takes so long? Mayor Eileen Anderson in 1982 after Hurricane Iwa caused massive power outages on Oahu said we need to be sure that this never happens again, I think it was repeated in 2006 and yesterday as well. History continues to repeat itself over and over again.

Remember this as well, Hurricane Iwa hit Kauai with the majority of damage, yet power was shut off on Oahu, the Big Island earthquake caused minimal electrical outages on all of the islands, except for Oahu.

Does anyone remember power outages during Iniki?

Aj

Comment

We will have to keep our eye on the maternity wards come next October.

Wonder if there will be a spike in births?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              Wonder if there will be a spike in births?
                              The guy at the restaurant I was at last night said the last time Oahu had rolling blackouts, he and his wife conceived their second child.

I was as unprepared as you can get. I don't even own candles. It's on my list of things to buy. Luckily I happened to be with a friend when the power went out and she let me stay the night. We played cards by candlelight and it was honestly a lot of fun.

I was a little concerned even to go home because my apartment building's stairwells lock behind you. You can go down the stairs, but you can't go back up and in. The power was already back when I got home, and when I asked at the security desk I was told they'd had a generator and one elevator running all night, which I guess is good for the people on the 24th floor but I wonder what would happen if the generator went out?
                              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I pass on candles, between the winds and the fear of falling asleep while they are on just bothers me a bit.

Check this out, AP writer says Obama is staying "near downtown Honolulu". I chuckled when I also read that Mufi "governs the entire island" as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/...awaii_power_17

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X