Mac vs PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac vs PC

I have a PC for gaming and a MacBook for everything else. I enjoy both of them. If I weren't into gaming, I'd probably go for the cheapest laptop to get stuff done, which would probably be a MS laptop.

Back in the day I used to be really into customizing my PC and buying individual parts for it, but nowadays I just want to get a set and be done with it.

I like to attribute my purchase of a MacBook to the Halo Effect since I had an iPod prior (of course, I also had a secondhand Powerbook 150 around '97-98, which incidentally was my first laptop). >_> I don't care for most of the Mac commercials but there are a few that I find funny.

I much prefer the Switch commercials. Or better yet... no commercials and only the positive word-of-mouth advertisements I heard when talking with friends who love their Macs.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
      [...]Or better yet... no commercials and only the positive word-of-mouth advertisements I heard when talking with friends who love their Macs.
      B-b-but DaFerret...that'd put me outta business! I was called to cast the voice over for the Cube spots and even offered the ad agency that I'd trade product for time! They couldn't do a trade...so I traded for money instead! Gotta keep all those commercials comin' in...not just the Apple ones!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        B-b-but DaFerret...that'd put me outta business! I was called to cast the voice over for the Cube spots and even offered the ad agency that I'd trade product for time! They couldn't do a trade...so I traded for money instead! Gotta keep all those commercials comin' in...not just the Apple ones!
        Oh! Ohhhh.... I meant, umm... no commercials that you don't work in/for/on!

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
          Oh! Ohhhh.... I meant, umm... no commercials that you don't work in/for/on!
          I mute the shows and watch the commercials! I just happen to really like Apple's spots. You can give me a raspberry if ya like!

Comment

BTW, in terms of cost, the older Mac blue-and-whites are dirt cheap and they're easy to pop open and customize. They'll also attach to anything. I've rebuilt several from the ground up.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

You can pick up an old G3 with OS9 for about $160 including shipping http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...QUA-3B&cat=SYS
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

PC's are relatively easy to fix, Mac's aren't. Kinda like a Chevy and a Ferrari. Ferrari's run fast and smooth but when they break...$$$$$ When Chevy's break any garage gearhead could fix one for a case of beer.

Anyway Mac's are great computers but I wouldn't be bragging about it, especially if I didn't know how the darn thing works because it will fail one day, there is no magic inside these computers. Plus when one starts to brag, bachi will soon follow, what goes around comes around. And that's my point of contention about Mac's, those commercials are all about bragging and that's not cool.
                mr. watanabe--

what product doesn't "brag" to some degree or another? is the "bragging" that people object to about mac advertising really just an objection to how much the truth hurts?

i think your chevy/ferrari analogy fails in the sense that ferraris aren't exactly easy to drive. most people can't just get into a ferrari and expect to maneuver very well. i mean, you should be some sort of driving enthusiast if you're gonna buy a ferrari. on the other hand, a mac is much more approachable than a pc if you're a novice computer user (see what i said earlier about beau's mom and dvr vs. mac). i think that a better car analogy for the PCs v. mac would be a Ford Mustang v. Lexus ES (mind you, i'm not the car expert--the beau is, but he's not here for me to ask him). but i think this analogy works in that a stang is fairly ubiquitous, people like em, and there are a lot of home garage mechanic types who like doing all kinds of stuff with em, but would most grammas buy and drive a stang? naw. they'd be happier with a lexus, if they can afford it, bcs it's not so quirky, it's user friendly, it has practically everything most people would want in a car, all in one nifty and good looking package.

don't get me wrong--i'm more comfortable in the PC environment if only bcs i've used it for years at work. but i can definitely see the advantages for home use, esp if you aren't technically savvy or don't have a relative or sigfig at home who is a computer geek. besides, the people who aren't so savvy bout computers who buy a PC are more than likely to freak out and call in professional help for every single little error window that comes up and that costs money each and every time and therefore spend $$ on that, each and every time, so the $$ argument about macs being more expensive to repair, for now, falls short.

my own mom, who lives on the mainland, is a bit more savvy bout computers, and she owns a PC that she bought on her own. every time she calls/emails me bcs she can't open a link (which is many times more often than the beau's mom calls to ask about her dvr), i tell myself i need to buy her a mac the next time i visit her.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The comparison is that a fine tuned machine will run circles around a piece of...well a not so fine tuned machine.

Mac's interface is designed to be easy to use up front because there's a crap load of stuff going on behind.

I like the KISS mentality, and for a user, Mac's win hands down, but a user doesn't see the inner workings of OS X where it's complex as hell. And that's where it's weakness is.

But for as long as Mac's use the same kind of drag the competition thru the mud marketing campaign, soon it'll be Apple that will be the big bad boy that needs a time out and join Bill Gates in the corner.

And then there will be Linux rising from the dead and wounded!

Comment

[QUOTE=craigwatanabe;143546]
                    I like the KISS mentality, and for a user, Mac's win hands down, but a user doesn't see the inner workings of OS X where it's complex as hell. And that's where it's weakness is. QUOTE]

on that point i can heartily agree, but most users don't care what they can't see. i mean, what percentage of american drivers look under their hood and can point out which puka is for the oil or know what kinda oil to buy? i'm not saying that percentage is the same percentage as the # of folks who know how to run a virus check versus who don't, but you get the idea of what i'm trying to say.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    And then there will be Linux rising from the dead and wounded!
                    aagh, me not computer geek! when someone says linux i think of charlie brown's friend with the blankey. *blush*
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

But you would care if and when your mac starts acting up. And you'd care even more if you cannot find someone to repair that mac before that Monday morning meeting presentation.

I fix enough PC's to know that there's a lot of computer users that simply do not update their virus protection or their spyware software. Like most automobile drivers that don't check the oil levels or tire pressure, they drive until the engine seizes up, just like computer users, they will disregard the update notices until a virus stops them dead in their tracks.

Mac's don't experience problems like this yet, but given time and too much "chip on the shoulder" advertising, there will be a successful hack into the operating domain of OS X and once in...It's a whole new ball game for Apple and too little knowledgable techies out there to fix it because Apple has been so secretive about it's systems.

Comment

I'm not exactly Mr. Fixit, and yet I've never had a problem getting a Mac to operate properly and quickly, either on my own or via a repair shop. (Yes, sometimes they wear out!)

I don't need to learn operating systems to get it to work. The only coding I know is html.

I've been using Macs daily for more than two decades, and in all that time I've only had one go down on me fatally, and even then all the data was rescued.

It's simply the best computer and the best computer interface ever designed, hands down.

Preferring PCs because they're easier to repair says a lot about the expected performance envelope of the PC. It's a failure mentality.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Macs are for right brained, creative types who can't be bothered with learning the inner workings of their machines, only that they work. PCs are for left brainers who are always asking why this, why that? People who prefer PCs for home use also probably drive stick shift cars, too.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            Macs are for right brained, creative types who can't be bothered with learning the inner workings of their machines, only that they work. PCs are for left brainers who are always asking why this, why that? People who prefer PCs for home use also probably drive stick shift cars, too.
                            I must be a little bit of both.

I prefer to drive a stick, but still fail to appreciate the wonders of right-clicking.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              I'm not exactly Mr. Fixit, and yet I've never had a problem getting a Mac to operate properly and quickly, either on my own or via a repair shop. (Yes, sometimes they wear out!)

I don't need to learn operating systems to get it to work. The only coding I know is html.

I've been using Macs daily for more than two decades, and in all that time I've only had one go down on me fatally, and even then all the data was rescued.

It's simply the best computer and the best computer interface ever designed, hands down.

Preferring PCs because they're easier to repair says a lot about the expected performance envelope of the PC. It's a failure mentality.
                              Here's the basic bottom line, it's all about expectations and the price you are willing to pay for it.

Macs - definitely very user friendly and less prone to problems. But this is because Macs are pretty much proprietary in design on both the hardware and software. The hardware and software were made for each other. So the downside of all this is you pay through the nose for a Mac. Yes, they are coming out with cheaper versions but the price you pay on a Mac any day will buy you some "higher end" PC stuff.

PCs - basically the Ford Model T in the computer world. Standardized hardware with an OS that tries to encompass all of it. End result, instead of getting "plug and play", reality sometimes is more like "plug and pray". Also, since the majority of computers in the world are PCs, they also attract the unwanted attention from hackers who only further complicate a novice user when hit by a bug, worm, or virus. But plus side, because it's standardized equipment, you have a myriad of choices of parts. You can build a franken PC from parts here and there. So overall, it's a lot cheaper. But like the model T, you better know how to get your hands dirty on a routine basis.

If OS reliability is the only criteria, heck, one should check out Unix. Now that's a very stable OS right there.

Comment

Well let me break the norm and say this, both operating systems suck.

OSX is flat out insult to the users who use it. In trying to be simple, it has alienated it's users and in turn treats them like retards. Yes I'm calling the same simplicity that you praise, an insult to your intelligence. They hide and lock away anything that might confuse you or allow you to mess something up, as if you are too stupid to read warning signs. Not to forget to mention the large icons and graphical prompts. What, are words so hard to read that you need a big flashing picture to direct you? While some users are contented with this system I hardly find it a bragging point. If you want to brag, then brag about how you don't get viruses because your on a bsd based operating system. If you want to brag about how easy it is to connect to network devices, then start touting the greatness of netconf. You have great printer support, well thats CUPS. Oh wait, you have no idea what those things are, and are totally ignorant to the fact that they were all borrowed from *nix? Well then I guess you will want to brag about how everything just works, then start bragging about the fact that you have an operating system that was designed to work on expensive hardware that you had no choice but to buy just so you could have your operating system of choice. Hardware that you have little or no control over. And while you laugh at pc users because they're upping their systems so that can run a new version of their operating system instead of one that was made 6 years ago, you forget that when Mac releases it's next os you for the most part won't have the choice to upgrade your system. I guess that means a whole new system.

Ok so that was a little ranty, and directed more to the users than the os, but I'm in a ranty mood.

Now for windows. While I can't directly attack pc users for their arrogance, I can say this. Windows flat out sucks. Not much more needs to be said. The shortcomings are evident, and over discussed. The only way MS will ever be able to compare with Apple is if: (1)hardware vendors are required stick to a strict set of standards (2)Microsoft becomes a hardware vendor, and only allows it's os to be installed on MS hardware. Number one will never happen because MS can't even follow standards it's self (just look at ie and w3c compliance), and number two wouldn't work because all the hardware vendors would yell antitrust. Regardless of whether they fix their os or not MS will continue to dominate because they've made sure that they are the standard, and as long as they have that they can and will continue to produce crappy products, because they can.
                                Last edited by Cameron; April 28, 2007, 12:37 AM.
                                808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                                kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                                http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
                                X