Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Hank's Haute Dogs is definitely one of my favs right now. The Chicago Dog is pretty tasty!
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Went to Hank's today. Two blondes in front of me took 15 minutes to order their sandwiches. The staff was nice about it and I have learned if you are in Honolulu and in a hurry;you are in the wrong place. Traffic or otherwise.

Ordered the special of the day, rabbit and veal sausage on the ol' poppy seed bun ($7.50), m'lady had the Chicago dog ($4.75). Ordered the Onion rings as I heard them recommended here consistently. They were really good. The Rab & Veal was good, but the Chicago dog was better. Nevertheless, glad we have a place like this to experience an eclectic menu. Picked up a pocket menu and all the specials are listed. As stated before; Italian Beefs Fri/Sat 5-9PM; Monday all day. Really need to get over there to try that Beef and will report back later.
      You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your dogs! I love the chicken dog with the mango relish and the chili dog and the Sunday only Kobe dog but I hardly ever leave my house
        on Sundays so it's been a long time. I think I'm going tomorrow to have a beef sandwich and some onion rings with the garlic aioli!

Comment

I went to Hank's Haute Dog yesterday and tried the Portuguese and Chicago Dog with everything on it. The Chicago Dog was kind of too spicy for me due to the hot peppers on it but the Portuguese was okay.

Comment

I was at Hank's last night and had the Andouille with the onions really good,
            the Spam dog not what I expected. Much like a variation of a bratwurst
            with a good texture and high flavor, I picked off the kim chee as it's hard
            to eat that late at night. The Chicago dog was as good as ever!

Comment

Man, all this talk about Hank's Haute Dogs is making that place a priority of mine to visit this week.

While that Kobe dog DYASU tried looks and sounds fantastic, I'm a bit reluctant to fork over $8.50 for a friggin' hot dog. Perhaps if I go this Friday, I'd like to try the Lobster dog. Very interesting. It better not be $16 though.

If it is $16, it better be smothered with Escargot and truffles. lol

Have you ever tried Redondo's Teriyaki Winners?...

Said once, and I'll say it again, I'm not a Teriyaki fan, but these are absolutely the BOMB! It's got that savory-sweet-fatty pork thing going on somethin' fierce! Seriously, if you haven't yet, gotta' try 'em. Pick up a pack of these babies and either fry 'em up or slap 'em on the grill. The bomb.

And who says a hot dog needs a bun? How about slapping one of those Teriyaki Winners on kani-lehua's vegetarian chow fun noodles!...

I'd consider voting this plate as a contender to being Hawaii's best hot dog. The contrasting flavor of the Hijiki (that skinny black seaweed stuff) and Beni Shoga (the red pickled ginger stuff on the right corner), along with the savory-sweet-and fatty pork teri dog is truly a marriage made in heaven. And you gotta' use the Hula brand Chow Funn. Excellent.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                While that Kobe dog DYASU tried looks and sounds fantastic, I'm a bit reluctant to fork over $8.50 for a friggin' hot dog. Perhaps if I go this Friday, I'd like to try the Lobster dog. Very interesting. It better not be $16 though.

If it is $16, it better be smothered with Escargot and truffles. lol
                Lobster dog runs around in the $10-$11 range. I wasn't being attention to the sign to notice what was in the Lobster dog.

Comment

So I visited Puka Dog in Waikiki last night. They're located on the backside of the Waikiki International Marketplace on Kuhio Avenue.

Cynsaligia's favorite celebrity chef, Anthony Bourdain, featured the place on his Hawaii episode, and so did another show on the same station. Because of that, the establishment has "Featured on the Travel Channel" emblazoned on a sign in front.

So of course AB's visit was a topic of discussion among the manager on duty, myself, and another really friendly lady tourist there.

The rather plain, bread-like buns are massive, measuring about 9" in length, and thick. This is necessary to accommodate the sizeable "puka" for the dog.

Here you see two buns impaled on this specialized heating iron...

Looks like an abandoned Russian missile silo. lol

Here's a view of a Puka Dog bun, before and after...

After that, they pour in a Garlic Lemon "Secret Sauce", then pump it with your choice of relish, including the likes of Mango, Papaya, Coconut, Star Fruit, and my choice, Pineapple. The relish dispensers look like a beer tap, and make the front counter that much more interesting. I also requested ketchup and mustard, which is a must for me with any hotdog, contrary to certain opinions, depending where you're from.

There are two types of sausages: Polish or Veggie. I chose the Polish, which according to the manager is made from a combination of beef, pork and chicken. Sounds good to me.

Here's the finished product...

So how is it? Delicious. Better than I expected actually, which I'm usually skeptical about when a place receives too much hype. The polish sausage itself of course was the key element, and had great flavor. The Pineapple relish wasn't as acidic as I had hoped though, but you could certainly tell it was pineapple, and it complimented the savory wiener (did that sound right?) nicely. The Garlic Lemon sauce also added this interesting 3rd dimension. You can also distinguish the toasted "puka" of the bun, which certainly helped. And the soft and supple body of the bun (did that sound right) made eating this wiener a pure pleasure (did that sound right?).

I also ordered their made-to-order fresh-made lemonade, which was fantastic.

Really, it was delicious. I'd go back again, if not for only one problem: the price. It came out to a whopping $9 plus change for this one dog and the lemonade.

All I need with that is a $3,000 vintage Aloha shirt.

I'll have a full-write-up (as if this wasn't enough), including more photos later on my blog.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We went to Hanks Haute Dogs foa lunch.

Beau did da ordering.
                    Three Chicago Dogs, One Keiki Dog, One onion ring, and one french fries.

Two Iced Teas.

It's da BOMB!!!

My opu is full.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I can't praise Hank's Haute Dog enough for taking a normally average food and making it delicious.

Sure the price is high relative to the "hot dog" world, but well worth it in my opinion.
                      Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

I have been to Hank's once so far and more than likey return again. Sure the price is high for hot dogs but there is at least variety in their selection.

Hot dogs at the two major theater are priced in the $3.50-$4.00 range. Ward's hot dog sticks out at least 3/4 inch on both ends of the bun and Dole has done away of the speciality dogs just selling the standard hot dogs.

Comment

Managed to get a late lunch on Monday from Hank's. Had the Portuguese and the special for Monday was the Greek, which was kind of good.

Comment

Finally made it to Hank's on Monday to try the Italian Beef Sandwich. Made a special trip, driving across town. Was told they didn't have it and weren't going to make it anymore. I was quite disappointed to say the least. Walked out without buying anything and informed them I would not be back. Also told them I would not recommend them to anyone. As of today Italian Beef Sandwich is still on their web-site as Monday's Special, false advertising.

If their beef sandwich had been any good I would have recommended it to friend, family and co-workers. I would have made catering orders of 10, 20 and 30+. OK, just give me a seared ahi sandwich and I'll be fine.

If you want a Chicago hot dog go to Woody's and save 2 bucks. Woody's, located in front of Lowes or at the Navy Exchange. Hank's sells Naperville Hot Dogs.
                            You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Aloha Fritz!

Wow! I can feel your anger. Ova a sandwich? I truly understand. I do. I get angry for smaller things. I'm like King Kong when I get MAD!

But...but...please calm down.

No sense get high blood pressure ova something we don't have control ova.

I bet you can make a better Italian Sandwich!!

As foa bad mouthing a business...we've all had our share of doing the same. Did you taste their Hot Dogs to say they don't taste good? No.

It's up to each individual to vote whether it's good or bad. Their record speaks for it's self. I hope you have a better day. And I will try Woodys too.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie, my blood is still boiling from this next entry, but it's worth it (I think)...

I don't know the specific name of this hot dog, but I do know it came from K-Mart in Iwilei from the Little Caesars counter in the front.

Basically the math is this: Nathan's Hot Dog + Little Caesars Pizza = "The Caesar Dog"

Take one of these...

sans the bun (and condiments)

+

one of these...

sans the toppings

=

this...

This costs $1.50. The dog itself is regular size, and while it can't compete against Costco's killer $1.50 'Zilla dog 'n drink combo in value, it does make up for it in flavor and texture, the latter being key, with that pizza crust baked on, "Pig-in-a-Blanket" style. My friends, this dog ROCKS! The very-salty and fatty Nathan's weiner, combined the toasted, glutenous texture of the pizza crust wrapped around it is pure genius. Awesome.

Check it out a Little Caesars-in-K-Mart near you.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X