Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Close. I'd say that passing a law isn't going to be the answer. Stepped up enforcement is likely to lead to more arrests, but I doubt if it's going to put that much of a dent in things.

The real answer is to change people's attitude toward fireworks. That's not easy, but it's been done. Cigarette smoking and Drunk Driving is a couple of places that's been done. Yes, there were laws involved, but they reflected the change in public opinion rather then try to impose it on them.

Laws in this country really only work to keep a few black sheep in line, and isn't all that effective in changing the actions of the masses.

Ohhhh, for a video camera - set up on someone else's yard. And then turn that in to the Police Commission. It still may not be a bad idea to inform them. It may not result in any action due to lack of evidence, but it might put him on notice that he's being watched.
    Can I suggest ? Cool it. If you want to report those people, then get a neighbour or friend to do it. You dont want the culprits coming back on you. We have to be realistic here.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
      Can I suggest ? Cool it. If you want to report those people, then get a neighbour or friend to do it. You dont want the culprits coming back on you. We have to be realistic here.
      Why do you think I suggested setting up the camera on someone else's property.

I'd hope the Police Commission would have a way to report things so the complainant can stay anonymous.

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Comment

How about that one dude who was arrested for selling illegal fireworks that had a smiling myspace mugshot?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          I could be wrong here, but I don't remember having much of a problem with the illegal aerials until we had a restrictive law on firecrackers.

Too many people didn't want to be limited to a pack of 500, so they went to the black market. Then they found the black market has other goodies .... it's been downhill a lost cause since.
          I have to agree with this one. Fireworks have always been a cultural staple in Hawai‘i, due to the significant Chinese population here. But it was mostly firecrackers, and perhaps some sparklers in the yard. I remember seeing my first illegal aerials after they started cracking down on firecrackers. A 500 firecracker string is totally inadequate to ring in the new year. Unless you plan on lighting it exactly at 11:59 and 45 seconds. Total ban? What a joke. We see how well that type of policy worked during Prohibition, or currently with the War on Drugs®.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I worked at ATM at the VIP Area and also as Special Body Guard for M. Chang last night. I had the best seat in the place. I also got to meet the entertainers, VIP's and wannabe's. Ten minutes to countdown, P.K. and Seeking Penance and I went by Billy V. and crew. I stood near M. Chang. It was my duty to protect her at all times. Then we all counted 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, "Happy New Year!! 2009" I kissed my husband and then I hugged and kissed S.P. He makes me laugh all the time. He's misunderstood a lot but he's got a heart of GOLD.

The fireworks started from the barge in the harbor.

Magnificent.

I was in awe of the colors, the various displays of beauty in the sky above us. It is safe when professionals handles it.

When we drove home to Kalihi, we couldn't see the road. It was if it was a War Zone! My neighborhood was a mess. Shopping Carts in the middle of the roads and a sea of red paper. As a NB Member I have plenty to say at this month's meeting. If you want something done, you have to tell it. Go to your NB Meetings and voice your concerns. Call your Representatives, Senators, Council Members, Mayor, and Governor. Let your voices be heard.

No be scared.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; January 1, 2009, 02:02 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              When we drove home to Kalihi, we couldn't see the road. It was if it was a War Zone! My neighborhood was a mess. Shopping Carts in the middle of the roads and a sea of red paper.
              Ah. That time of the year, I truly missed Kalihi ... NOT!

Since moving back to Molokai, I get to experience New Year here for the first time in 20 years. I was surprised you don't need a permit here to buy. My tenants and I were so surprised there were so many aerials lit up the sky on the island, at least on Kaunakakai townside. Seems hardship hasn't dampen anyone's feeling to spend on $300 six-shots and even more expensive illegal aerials.. Unlike Kalihi, the neighborhood isn't so crowded and we have a welcoming breeze to dissipate the smoke.

OBTW, we didn't have professional fireworks show here like Oahu or Maui. Too expensive.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

My biggest issue with fireworks (legal or otherwise but not including the shows), barring any cultural aspects, is the amount of money that's spent by those who can least afford it. It truly is money up in smoke.

I was on Kalanianaole Hwy. last night at 11p, returning to Waikiki. There were so many kids on the sidewalk outside their homes shooting off lotsa loud stuff; many appeared to be unsupervised. The drive was a bit scary. Once home I was able to see the ATM display from within the safety of my hale. I was stunned by the number of illegal aerials originating from Tantalus, Makiki and Moiliili. Must admit it was very cool to lie in bed and watch them but what about safety issues?

I drove thru pockets of pea soup smoke. At midnight...which was interpreted differently by so many ...there was a barrage of aerials that obliterated Tantalus and Manoa Valley with smoke. The air cleared pretty quick, tho'.

A bright red "ball" passed slightly above my 19th floor window then veered toward the Ala Moana Hotel before it gently fell to...??? I have no idea what happened to it! Or, what it was.

Comment

I gotta say I was impressed with Kailua's enthusiasm for fireworks. I've never seen anything remotely like it. And I mean REMOTELY!!!

From nightfall until a little while after midnight it was a continuous barrage of pops, snaps, sizzles, whistles, booms, bangs, flashes, and sparkles. Around midnight, they really cut loose. The smoke got so thick I think it created its own thunder cloud. There was a big blast of real thunder. I loved the whole thing.

I'd be concerned for anyone with respiratory issues and I'll bet there's no small number of dogs who panted and shivered away 6 months to a year of their lives. I was amazed at how much money people must have spent. Some must have literally spent thousands of dollars. But hey, whatever blows your skirt up (pun intended). I sure had a blast watching them. Mahalo. I hope no one got injured seriously.

This morning I expected there to be fireworks paper a foot deep. I didn't see but just a little.

I loved it.

Comment

Poll closed in less than a week? Gimme a break, or mebbe ya just wanted the obssessive/compulsive type answerers...
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Interestingly enough... the poll closed at 50/50 or actually 13 to 13.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

several notes:

having grown up in kalihi and having spent 6p to 8p wednesday night in the old hood at a friend's house before going to duke's for what was practically a front row seat to the halekulani fireworks show, i'll agree with previous posters that the problem has gotten markedly worse now that there's a ban. one of the neighbors of our friends (a female in her twenties) had bought several hundred dollars worth of illegal aerials and M-80s (or whatever they're called--the really loud booming ones). in between setting several off herself, she was on the phone, hustling to sell some of her loot at a 50% markup. i was amazed that she had no shortage of takers.

it really disturbed me how many little boys around the age of six were allowed to set things off like jumping jacks with little scripto lighters. granted, they were surrounded by adults...but since those adults were young men around no more than 23 years old who rarely laid eyes on the junior pyros while they themselves set off aerials and drank beer, i don't consider it any useful supervision.

my recent trip to the philippines led to the very delayed revelation that my fellow pinoys learned their fondness for fireworks from their chinese neighbors, who are only as little as 500 miles away via the south china sea. this might help people understand why traditionally filipino enclaves are much smokier than others on the fourth of july and new year's.

if i understand him correctly, i think joshuatree's suggestion of designated areas to have fireworks free-for-alls might be among the best and most balanced solutions. all-out bans seem only to encourage the unscrupulous to take advantage of the overzealous. bans correlate with increased incidence of bad moonshine and bad dope. similarly, i wouldn't be surprised that many of the illegal fireworks are of poorer and more unsafe quality than would have been on the market had they been legal.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

They're banned in IP. So glad too. Didn't want to come home to our house being burned down.

And the walk back to our hotel downtown from the beach was kinda hairy. All these kids were lining up HUGE cannisters and setting them off and there were hundreds of people around them. Some of them were veering off into the crowds. Luckily, no one got hurt, but I kept thinking someone was going to catch a stray spark in the eye or something.

At home, we live just outside the city limits so we can set them off. My husband and I invite a ton of people over (adults only) and we set off huge ariels in the concrete washout by our house. Since our neighborhood is still being built, whoever lives there comes out to watch. But it's only the men that light them and they're all very careful. We have fire extinguishers nearby and whoever is doing the lighting is very limited on beer. But there aren't the kids running around with anything other than Blackcats, and there aren't many of those either.

The cops are always patrolling nearby too, and they usually stop by to watch our show...and make sure there aren't any kids around!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

If you ban fireworks it will just get worse. I grew up with the fireworks and although human nature has shown there is a bunch of wreckless idiots who spoil it for everyone. Also the LOUD bombs that people make can be made from anything, so banning FW wont stop these people and they are illegal to make already. I must have heard over 100 bombs being blasted New Years Eve in Palolo Valley alone.

As for people with breating problems (like me) you know its coming up and prepare for it. It is just a few hours of (maybe) discomfort. I just use the 3M mask with the carbon filter built in and I was fine. I stayed in Kaimuki for new years eve and had a "safe" room to go to if the smoke got too heavy.

Fireworks in Hawaii is a multi-million dollar business. Look down your street and see how much everyone burns! Either way the tax dollars go back to the state and if they ban it they are just shooting themselves in the foot as far as tax dollars go.

As far as kids playing with illegals....the parents need to be slapped in the head. I was driving thru Kalihi and there were a bunch of kids playing with fireworks with no adult supervision. you just assume in the future these will be the same kids who get alcohol...maybe they do now?

Comment

My neighbors who are friend (I thought so anyway) and relatively intellingent
                              (I always thought so anyway) were firing things in the direction of our house
                              off their deck Yelling at them to blow them off over their own house
                              (one landed right in our driveway by our garage door and another flew across
                              our roof luckily not landing) has led to them not speaking to us now and hard feelings. WTF? It was their fault and stupidity and they got called on it. I even threw back on of the bottle rocket pieces into their yard, keep your trash out of my property and keep your crappy fireworks over your own house. The thing is they have a huge acre or more in the back that they keep complaining about pigs rooting up (they had 18 the other day wandering around) shoot them toward that and maybe the pigs will leave. Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                                if i understand him correctly, i think joshuatree's suggestion of designated areas to have fireworks free-for-alls might be among the best and most balanced solutions. all-out bans seem only to encourage the unscrupulous to take advantage of the overzealous. bans correlate with increased incidence of bad moonshine and bad dope. similarly, i wouldn't be surprised that many of the illegal fireworks are of poorer and more unsafe quality than would have been on the market had they been legal.
                                Hi cynsaligia,

Yep, you got me right. After reading all these comments, making all fireworks legal again in designated areas makes even more sense.

1) "Safer" fireworks since they are the legal type and will meet requirements if there are any at the moment.

2) Designated areas will keep fire hazards to a minimum, help provide better air quality in residential areas, and make HFD's job easier should an errant bomb/missile light up something.

3) Increase tax revenue because it's legal again so it's taxable.

4) Will increase adult supervision because you figure everybody who's setting off fireworks will be there with no doubt, HFD or HPD around.

I would even add that designated areas rotate yearly so NIMBYs won't be shutting it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X