Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Events like this should help people see that the GRID is an antiquated way of powering a community.

Independent, point sourced, power generation and storage is the wave of the future.

Solar Panels on every home, elec. storage in the garage, cell phones, satellite TV................

Pretty soon, no more power poles. And no cables in your sunset view.

The GRID is dying a slow, painful death.
    Huh??? This is a strange post from you.

The alt-energy freaks would like us to believe that, but the facts seem to be stacked against them:
    • Not everyone lives in a house. Many live in high-rise apartments
    • Not everyone lives in sunny Arizona. Some don't get that much sun.
    • Not everyone is willing to make the lifestyle changes to get their energy usage to fit in the system they can afford.
    • Most owners/landlords/tenets would rather pay a small monthly fee then to be responsible for a complex system that is "free" while it runs, but is expensive to buy and to repair.
    • Such a view doesn't take into account the energy needs of businesses and industries.

Just because a few people have been able to do it, some nuts think "it's the future".

What's really strange to read that from you is that it's an unworkable system unless everyone gets a house. But that's the opposite direction from what you've advocated should be the future of Hawaii - more high-rises to keep the country country.

Comment

Solar power is perfectly viable from latitude 50N to 50S.
      Panels work on the cloudy days also, just not as much.
      Lifestyle changes are often driven by technological advances.
      High rises always have a sunny facing east side, and a rooftop.
      It just so happens that one of the largest, industrial solar arrays sits atop a building in Massachusetts where (you guessed it) solar panels are manufactured.

One impediment to solar power is age and anachronistic beliefs.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Panels work on the cloudy days also, just not as much.
        So we're to use less energy those days? Not a popular idea.

Lifestyle changes are often driven by technological advances.
        In this case I doubt if the desire to use solar will trump the needed changes.

High rises always have a sunny facing east side, and a rooftop.
        Very small rooftop for the number of people. East side is only good for too few hours.

It just so happens that one of the largest, industrial solar arrays sits atop a building in Massachusetts where (you guessed it) solar panels are manufactured.
        How self-serving of them. Why should I be surprised?

Now, how big an array would it take to power Bishop Square?

One impediment to solar power is age and anachronistic beliefs.
        and the lack of a good storage system, a whole gob of money, and no ROI.

Comment

Puts things into perspective:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/...winter_weather

Aj

Comment

Re: Spike in births cause of power outage!

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            If the blackout lasted 12 hours. What else could I do with the rest of the 11 hours and 59 minutes?
            Never mind!
            I don't think any female within 4,000 miles would be interested in a "one-minute" pregnancy.... or even a one-minute trial job.

You better go back to "Lefty."

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              Puts things into perspective
              Yeah, when mother nature decides to rip down power lines there isn't much that can be done except put them back up.

The problem here is the power system is unstable. Any major event causes the whole thing to come unbalanced and they end up cutting everything off.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                Any looting occur?
                Not that I know of. This isn't Compton.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                  Not that I know of. This isn't Compton.
                  nor brooklyn or the bronx

they don't have that in hawaii....do they?
                  stay forever young

Comment

I was in Kauai when Iniki hit.

The storm tore a warehouse open and scattered cans of fruit juice out onto the adjacent common area.

No one touched them.

There were a couple reports of price gouging. But I saw a store in Hanapepe handing out for free whatever was on its shelves to residents who needed supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                      nor brooklyn or the bronx

they don't have that in hawaii....do they?
                      I didn't think so. I heard Hawaii's changed since I last lived there, but I'm very glad to read that some very important, cherished things did not change.

Comment

And this is exactly why I'm not looking forward to moving back to snotty North Dallas. There wouldn't be any looting on our side of 190, but not much neighborhood fun either. (Those pearl-clutching HOA mf'ers sure put a damper on any kind of unsupervised activity. Sort of like kindergarten- we even have arts n' crafts under the guise of Scrapbooking, recess in the form of yoga, and everything has to be put away nice and tidy or you get in trouble. Yes, we chose to live in the neighborhood, but then a new HOA company took over AFTER we moved in and started going crazy about things like having to have them approve what color flowers you're going to plant in your yard.)

So seeing my neighbor firing up his generator to power his inflatable Homer Simpson like a welcoming beacon and inviting all the neighbors over to watch movies on Friday night was so awesome.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just heard that if anyone may wish to file a complaint against Heco,they'll call Heco and let them know.im glad everyone's power is back and that the reserveoir is up to full capacity and im happy for that also.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

So it's been a year since the Big Blackout! That was the only thunderstorm I ever saw there. Two flashes of lightning and *boom* there goes the power! Was there a boom of births in Sept/Oct? Did anyone even ask about it?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                              [...]Was there a boom of births in Sept/Oct? Did anyone even ask about it?
                              There sure was in the film industry. The power outage never even occurred to me! Just tonight I was at an industry party and we were all laughing about not drinking any of the water the new parents must've drank! Especially me. Don't wanna give birth to any grandkids. I'm pau already! Anyway, no one mentioned last December's outage but, dang, we have a litter of Aug-Oct babies now...all girls...one born premature...others born past their due dates. Very interesting...

Comment

Last year's blackout was one of my fondest memories of the holiday. I wouldn't mind doing it again.

It seems to me that Hawaii has been chock full of newborns in the past few months. My aunt has two new grandbabies born within a week apart. I've already told her my theory about the blackout.
                                Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                                Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Working...
                                X