RICE? what kind brand you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RICE? what kind brand you like?

It's a lot better when I soak the rice from the morning before cooking it in the evening. The rice turns out fluffier. For three cups of rice, I cut the water down by 1/4 cup.

In our house, it's Hinode, Diamond G, Homai, Shirakiku, or whatever's on sale (<$7.00/20 lb. bag).

RICE SNOBS??????????

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      RICE SNOBS??????????
      Yeah, rice snobs. Ever see that episode of Soko ga Shiritai? They had one on rice. They judge good rice by the texture and sheen. Cooked rice should be fluffy without being mushy and should be shiny. Cooking the rice in spring water supposedly gives it a sweetness, depending where the water's from. My inlaws can supposedly tell the difference.

My wife's aunt uses rice that costs more than $20 for a 20lb. bag. The "good" stuff. I can't tell the difference. My wife served her aunt the cheap stuff and her aunt thought it was the expensive rice.

So long as the rice is cooked properly, I don't care. To my Japanese relatives, I'm just an uncouth, heathen cheap rice eater.

Comment

Uncouth, heathen, cheap rice eaters ........ I guess I'm just like you.

It may rank just under being wine snobs.

Comment

Costco in SoCAL carries long grain rice, (I think 3 Elephants brand if Im not mistaken). It's a sweet Jasmine rice. Took da ohana plenny time til all pau. Although, right now da ohana is going back to the short grain Cal Rose. The wifey bought it to introduce a change for the keikis so they can enjoy both styles of rice, that's nice! That last sentence got me as I had just read a Dr. Seuss story to my daughter at bedtime.

Comment

So long as it is a short grain rice. I grew up on Hinode but the other, more expensive Cali rice tastes the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
              Yeah, rice snobs. Ever see that episode of Soko ga Shiritai? They had one on rice. They judge good rice by the texture and sheen. Cooked rice should be fluffy without being mushy and should be shiny. Cooking the rice in spring water supposedly gives it a sweetness, depending where the water's from. My inlaws can supposedly tell the difference.

My wife's aunt uses rice that costs more than $20 for a 20lb. bag. The "good" stuff. I can't tell the difference. My wife served her aunt the cheap stuff and her aunt thought it was the expensive rice.

So long as the rice is cooked properly, I don't care. To my Japanese relatives, I'm just an uncouth, heathen cheap rice eater.
              Different ethnicities also value different qualities of rice so while one rice may be premium stuff to a rice snob, it may be junk to another. Some snobs prolly just go by price per bag. And let's not forget the cook, whoever's cooking the rice can also make the rice taste better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                All the "cheap" brands sold here are of the same variety. Calrose medium grain in different packages.

My wife is somewhat of a rice snob and she's impressed our relatives from Japan, whom everyone knows are the ultimate rice snobs, with the cheap stuff. It has something to do with how it's washed and how long it's presoaked before cooking. I don't know what she does, but I can't tell the difference. Her relatives are shocked that they were served cheap rice that tasted like premium rice. The difference can be real subtle. Even the kind of water you use can change the flavor, evidently. I watch Soko.
                I'm w/you, Rolling Eye. Whatever's on sale - Hinode, Diamond G (didn't its advertising used to say it was the "ricier rice"? Geez -- they PAID somebody for that bit of creative.)

ANYWAY -- I had the opportunity to go back to Japan on a high school exchange trip -- and my Nihonjin mother, before I left, told me that I would be surprised at how different the rice was there. She wasn't kidding! Even at a banquet-type event in a non-fancy place, the rice was amazing. She admonished me NOT to put shoyu on it in Japan -- because to do so would be bad manners.

Beyond what you said about water and soaking time, R-Eye, the TYPE of rice and the TIME OF HARVEST and other factors are of particular concern to sushi chefs. IIRC, a local celebrity chef spoke about that in a Star-Bulletin interview that ran in our Features section awhile back. I THINK it was DK Kodama, but I could be remembering that wrong. Whoever it was talked about how stringent the training is for sushi-chef apprentices in Japan. I can't imagine going through such rigorous, years-long training, but I sure enjoy the results of the learnin' others have done!
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

sushi making as a culinary art form? I think we need to get back to basics on Japanese foods. I'm sure Japanese ancestors who started making sushi never thought it would get to Iron Chef status.

Now with that can you imagine 300 years from now when you'll have top European chefs in a cook out remarking how they make their traditional Hamburger Helper: Okay here's Chef Mario preparing the cheese package mix. See how he tears the packaging at a 45-degree angle so he doesn't bruise the powder as it's being poured into the skillet...

Ah yes and now the taste test...Chef Mario why does your Chili Mac hamburger helper win awards year after year?

I soak the pasta overnight in spring water from the glaciers of Mount Raineer but only from the initial spring thaw after the full moon at 5pm when the sun is at a nominal arc in the sky.

I used this recipe from my mother's grandmother's father. I hear at that time they actually had a step by step method of making authentic Hamburger Helper. We in our lives can only wonder how the ancients made this marvelous dish with authentic ingredients. I went thru many years of training to master the culinary art of cooking Hamburger Helper. I've always wondered how our ancestors were able to creat this dish without this disciplined training.

Reverse to the ancients: Okay brown da hamburger, add da mix and hot water, add da noodles and bring to boil. Okay Hon dinner's ready.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I got hooked on Calrose short grain in the yellow bag when I lived in Okinawa. That is the only kind of rice I cook. I like jasmine but the Calrose short grain is by far MY favorite!

Comment

Went to Gyotaku, Pearl City, last night for dinner. Well surprise. The wife comes home and says there's such a big difference with the rice they serve there and our regualar brand/type we eat at home. She says they use a better grade of rice. I guess one can only do so much to try and make the cheap rice taste better. I still couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

Need to actully buy a rice cooker that does really well with brown rice as well as white. any suggestions? malaho

Comment

the 50lbs bag @ Sam's (or was it 100lbs?)
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by OnoLoa View Post
                            Need to actully buy a rice cooker that does really well with brown rice as well as white. any suggestions? malaho
                            You can use any kine rice cooker. Wife keeps hearing from friends that you have to rinse the rice in the morning then fill the pot with water and let it soak for the day. When ready to cook, drain the water and add the usual amount that you would if you were cooking the same amount of white rice. Usually one cup of water per cup of rice.

We eat "hapa" rice by mixing brown rice 1:3 with white rice. Sometimes 1:1.
                            We simply add 1/2 cup extra water for cooking the hapa. Little more for the 1:1 mix.

Comment

Working...
                            X