Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack In The Box Introduces Self Service Kiosks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack In The Box Introduces Self Service Kiosks?

Near my house there is a Jack In The Box & went to get food for dinner and noticed there was a kiosk machine near the registers. There was a gal next to it insisting that we use the machine to input what we wanted.

First thing I thought, OH my this machine is great but isn't it going to replace YOU (refers to the gal next to the machine)

I managed to follow along the glitzy touch screen and the womans voice guiding us as I bounced around from screen to screen.

The machine takes cash & credit cards

Upisde, you do NOT have to give your first name and do not have to repeat it 2-3 times if the cashier just did not grasp your name.

Re: Jack In The Box Introduces Self Service Kiosks?

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    Near my house there is a Jack In The Box & went to get food for dinner and noticed there was a kiosk machine near the registers. There was a gal next to it insisting that we use the machine to input what we wanted.

First thing I thought, OH my this machine is great but isn't it going to replace YOU (refers to the gal next to the machine)

I managed to follow along the glitzy touch screen and the womans voice guiding us as I bounced around from screen to screen.

The machine takes cash & credit cards

Upisde, you do NOT have to give your first name and do not have to repeat it 2-3 times if the cashier just did not grasp your name.
    I came across such device at a Taco Bell years ago down in Irvine, CA. The way I see it, it's a computerized twist on those machines they have in Japan where you look at the plastic model dishes, select and pay the vending machine, get your receipt stub, and go in to be served by the staff. Personally, I like them since you don't have to repeat as you've mentioned. I'm sure it helps cut cost overhead for the franchise. Instead of two cashiers taking orders, have two kiosks and one worker to bring the food out.

Comment

...and more job losses. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Guess it depends on how one views it. You figure now you need field techs to maintain such systems so it's a job elsewhere.

Comment

So maybe it would be a decrease of entry level jobs (fast food cashier), but increase in high tech computer programming and repairs. So, were do the people with limited reading skills fit in, or sight impaired, etc. Unless it is like at the airport, where there are backup people to help with the kiosks.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Perhaps vocational training? Ultimately, isn't this just society progressing? College used to be for the elite, now it's available to everyone who wants it.

Going back to topic, a self service drive through kiosk would be great, no more deciphering garbled voices on a bad speaker box.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Going back to topic, a self service drive through kiosk would be great, no more deciphering garbled voices on a bad speaker box.
              When that happens, I like to do my human beat box routines.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                So maybe it would be a decrease of entry level jobs (fast food cashier), but increase in high tech computer programming and repairs. So, were do the people with limited reading skills fit in, or sight impaired, etc. Unless it is like at the airport, where there are backup people to help with the kiosks.
                Sorry, I was not clear in my posting. When I asked about limited reading ability, I was speaking about the customers. What happens to customers who have limited reading ability, or sight? Is there a "live person" for backup to help people who are not wanting to use a machine?
                Pushing the public into the computer age is just fine, if you do not mind losing customers in the process.
                [Did you know that over 155 thousand adults in Hawaii are functionaly illiterate?]
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  What else is new? We've been "loosing" jobs ever since we moved away from a farm-based economy. It's been good for our standard of living.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    What else is new? We've been "loosing" jobs ever since we moved away from a farm-based economy.
                    And in the meantime, people are paying more for mainland products to be shipped over here. Especially milk, which as I understand, is not properly refrigerated during its open sea journey. That's one aspect of standard of living I'd like to see corrected in the near future!

Comment

Sorry, I was not clear in my posting. When I asked about limited reading ability, I was speaking about the customers. What happens to customers who have limited reading ability, or sight? Is there a "live person" for backup to help people who are not wanting to use a machine?
                      Pushing the public into the computer age is just fine, if you do not mind losing customers in the process.
                      [Did you know that over 155 thousand adults in Hawaii are functionaly illiterate?]
                      I would guess the staff that's bringing out the order would have the secondary function to assist customers with the kiosks. What I've noticed at places that do employ self-service kiosks, they don't do away with the traditional checkout all together, but they do significantly remove the number of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                        And in the meantime, people are paying more for mainland products to be shipped over here.
                        It's not like the local producers could do it for less. That's why they went out of business.

Comment

Went to a Jack-in-the-Box close to my place a couple of nights ago and they had no self service kiosks.

Comment

Thirty years ago, people were skeptical about bank ATMs for the same reasons you give. And look at where we are today. Everybody uses ATMs now. Young, old. College grad, high school dropout.

It's not a matter of "if" fast-food eateries will use self-service kiosk technology, but "when."
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 20, 2009, 10:37 AM.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The "when" for food service has already happen. It's called vending machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X