State of Radio In Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of Radio In Hawaii

I see that when Parrot Broadcasting bankrupted, KHBC, KIPA, and KONA-FM went silent, that was a few weeks ago. Any updates on them going back on air?

Comment

Still static as of today
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Radio started it's serious decline in 1970 when good AM and underground FM went away, after 1990 there was nothing but college stations playing anything listenable/new/exciting.

Radio was it's own killer with blind corporate greed, and now that billions of one-time and new listeners are used to other things coupled with the net options... it's over, even tho it could be revived it won't. That's why they must instead play to society's lowest common denominator to survive at all, and unfortunately scraping the barrel's bottom pays off.
        itunes etc. could have billions of typically mediocre selections and I'll still stick with my awesome collection of really great music that keeps getting better without them, or bad radio.

Talk/sports radio is just pathetic and Hawaii's radio music content died long ago, then when KCCN tossed the old good Hawaiian, it was finally buried.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Still static as of today
          No static at all, FM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            No static at all, FM.
            Still static...on FM 92.7

Comment

I think economics have killed radio. With the modest little 7 station maximum ownership rule there was no incentive to come up with ridiculous prices for stations. If you over pay for a station the only way to make the numbers work is to fire staff. Radio's selling point was its immediacy and you cannot have that with syndicated or streamed programs. Its impossible. It is competing with new and often superior technologies without its biggest selling point. Doesn't seem like that can possibly succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                No static at all, FM.
                more people bought the soundtrack than saw the movie.Too bad: it was very prophetic

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                  more people bought the soundtrack than saw the movie.Too bad: it was very prophetic
                  But it was a damned great soundtrack!! Linda Rondstat rocked back then!!

Comment

Radio dying? Stale?

[Ahem!]

There's more choices in radio programming,.... NOW. More than ever. Thanks to the internet.

Check out Live365. There, you will find more than 6000 stations at your fingertips. All of them with far fewer commercial time than the typical terrestrial radio outlet. And you'll find many stations specializing in genres that are either under-served or totally unavailable in your local market.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I listen to radio from 0700 - 1700 every M-F. Sat-Sun 0700-1300. But it's all national programming from NPR/PRI. I know HPR has local programming at drive time, but I'm cooking/watching TV news at that hour.

About the only local programming I hear is HPR's Jazz with Don Gordon after 2200 or so every night, and its country hour Full Nelson with Tim Vandeveer 2200-2300 Sunday nights.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                        Full Nelson 2200-2300 Sunday nights.
                        American Routes, from 2000-2200 is about the best thing they have, great stuff.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Thank you to Frankie's Market for the tip on Live 365! I am enjoying Hawaiian music right now, thank you. Til now its been Aloha Joe, KAPA, KINE, and KKNE, which I still like, but this 365 is great. How did I miss this? I guess when I talk about radio dying I mean the over the air AM & FM traditional radio stations. It seemed such a perpetual, cutting edge technology just a few years ago. For now it still has the advantage that you can get it in your car, or at the beach, etc., but its days seem numbered, something I never thought would happen, along with the demise of newspapers, the USSR, and GM.

Comment

Comment on radio listening (in general, not Hawai`i-specific), from an article in Radio Magazine:

Arbitron released highlights from its Radar 108 National Radio Listening Report, which is scheduled for release on March 21. The report shows radio's increase of about 2.1 million weekly listeners aged 12 and older over the last year. The number of people 12 and older listening to radio each week now reaches an estimated 241.6 million, representing 93.1 percent of all people.

As compared to the March 2010 report, the number of radio listeners increased across all major demographics, with adults aged 18 to 34 showing the biggest gains, demonstrating radio's continued appeal to young listeners. Adults aged 18 to 34 weekly radio listeners increased nearly 508,000 in the past year, reaching 93.7 percent of all people in this demographic group. The number of teens aged 12 to 17 listening to radio also increased, rising 203,000 in the past year.

The report indicates that over the course of a week approximately 92 percent of all teens aged 12 to 17, 94 percent of adults aged 18 to 34 and 95 percent of adults aged 18 to 49 and adults aged 25 to 54 listen to radio.

Comment

I would think there is some truth to the above report, especially the part on gaining more listeners in the younger demographics. This seems to be reflected locally on the FM dial with the share for either R&B, hip hop and reggae-island music being taken up by more local stations.

KQMQ switched from CHR to reggae/island and now competes directly with KDNN and KCCN.... Former hip hop station KIKI FM changed call letter and format to "rhythmic adult contemporary" going by the monicker 93.9 Jamz (KHJZ) and competing with KUMU FM after they changed to that format last year. I guess hip hop is still competitive with 104.3 and 102.7 still going for that market, and the pie for adult contemporary music stays the same with KSSK and KRTR maintaining their tried and true formats... good for us older guys who sometimes like to hear non-challenging music.

Of couse rock music has been reduced to niche market status I guess with KUCD carrying the flag for alternative rock and KPOI airing classic rock - great for anyone that still like guitar based rock music...

Somewhere KTUH somehow picks up between all different genres and a few more, but they never show up in ratings as they are non-commercial... HPR is niche in my book with classical, jazz, news and talk on FM. And they are not rated and non-commercial too.

Religious stations still proliferate with several music oriented ones still on FM (KAIM, KHAI).... Country fans have KHCM 97.5 FM... oldies are still around with 107.9 FM.

AM is talk and sports mostly with a sprinkling or some music (KSSK) and "ethic" stations servicing the Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Filipino communities.

The bottom line in Honolulu is that we probably have too many radio stations on the dial, but still somewhat enough variety to keep people listening... and radio unlike other audio media remains free of computers and subscription costs unless you want to listen to your radio online. Certainly there are thousands of other stations/formats to listen to online, but when you want something, free and simple, radio still fills in a spot... for me at least.

Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Oahu Stations
                              http://www.hawaiiradiotv.com/OahuRadio.html
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                ..phone bank blinking madly and no one there to answer those callers.
                                Those new days are coming up on their third anniversary at Salem and there is nobody left there to celebrate. That said, back in the old days as the last live jock to leave the building before Machine Gun Kelly's "American Hit List" syndicated show, I would put all the request line phone banks on hold as a courtesy to the listener calling in to avoid their waste of time and temper any additional disappointment. And those phone banks punched on-hold were "blinking madly". A jock who entertained and informed us was a great reason for people to tune in. Now the only thing on the radio fullfilling it's commitment to 'local public service' are the local commercials. We are still holding on to live morning shows (and thank God for a serving of the iconic Uncle Tom once a week) because of the number of potential listeners getting ready for the day and the commute. The number of listeners to music radio are growing less and less because music radio is "just music", and if I am to listen to just music I have, we all have a device that can be programmed to just the music we like. After my last day to leave the building I went to talk radio and now audio books for my entertainment. I want to be entertained. I believe the world wants to be entertained and informed knowing it is happening now. What is Now, that is why Fox News and CNN have such great tune ins at home. "Live" is still a pretty good concept to live and prepare for. Holy Krap, I never could play the violin very well. Yes, as it was questioned earlier in the thread. Maybe there are fewer and fewer comments to the radio thread because there is nothing to talk about, just a lot of really bad violin players.
                                Thanks for making it to here and now. Aloha and Happy Trails Kids
                                We can't have do overs but we can do it again.

The Real Ron O'Neil
                                Last edited by Rontar; April 7, 2011, 03:10 PM. Reason: I missed my initial point of replying
                                U Can't Go Back, But U Can Do It Again
                                It's ShowTime
                                tRRo'

Comment

Working...
                                X