TV Cabling Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Cabling Question

I'm curious if I should replace the component video cable (which Oceanic supplied) with a HDMI cable. Is there any discernible benefit to do this? The HDTV set top box has a HDMI outlet.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: TV Cabling Question

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    I'm curious if I should replace the component video cable (which Oceanic supplied) with a HDMI cable. Is there any discernible benefit to do this? The HDTV set top box has a HDMI outlet.
    The HDTV box outputs 1080i, so it wouldn't make a difference. If you have Blu-ray which outputs 1080p then it would make sense to use the HDMI cable (between the player and the HDTV).

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
      The HDTV box outputs 1080i, so it wouldn't make a difference. If you have Blu-ray which outputs 1080p then it would make sense to use the HDMI cable (between the player and the HDTV).
      I thought you can't connect Blu-ray to your HDTV via anything besides HDMI?

Nevertheless, I received this comment in another forum regarding this question: link

"HDMI has the reputation of giving the best quality picture. Assuming you have a modern digital type display and digital cable, it should in theory give a better picture, because it saves you a step of digital-analog-digital conversion. Also, the signal over HDMI can be protected by HDCP, so there might in the future be some programs you can view that are not watchable over a component connection."
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        I thought you can't connect Blu-ray to your HDTV via anything besides HDMI?

[/I]
        I don't have a Blu-ray yet so I didn't know. But when I too was in the market to optimize my HD experience. The guy at Best Buy told me to save my money on the HDMI cabling unless I had a Blu-ray player. For kicks I borrowed my friend's HDMI cable and hooked it up to my HD box and the TV and didn't notice a difference on the HD channels (through untrained eyes).

Comment

I'm leaning towards swapping the cabling just to see if there is any difference. There is a site where they sell cheap HDMI cables. So, I think I'll give a shot.

I recently bought a Blu-Ray player. It appears the only way you can connect it is through HDMI.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, if you want a spare HDMI cable let me know, I have an extra one from my DirecTV HD box. When I signed up for HD service every HD satellite box came with one HDMI cable. I got five HD boxes and have one extra one. If you can swing by Big Island Honda here in Hilo you can have it. Just call me first so no one will try and sell you a car

The convenient part of using an HDMI cable is that it routes both audio and video with one plug and does it very well. Component video patch cords are okay but there is a slight improvement in video as well as audio-synced quality when using an HDMI cable.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That a generous offer Craig! when i got my new tv last year, i priced the cables - they started at about $35. i passed on buying one but did get one for free when i got direct tv.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Aaron, if you want a spare HDMI cable let me know, I have an extra one from my DirecTV HD box. When I signed up for HD service every HD satellite box came with one HDMI cable. I got five HD boxes and have one extra one. If you can swing by Big Island Honda here in Hilo you can have it. Just call me first so no one will try and sell you a car

The convenient part of using an HDMI cable is that it routes both audio and video with one plug and does it very well. Component video patch cords are okay but there is a slight improvement in video as well as audio-synced quality when using an HDMI cable.
                Craig,

Mahalo for the offer. However, I'll probably order the cabling online since I won't be coming over to Hilo for another month or so. There is a site where I can buy 6ft of this
                cabling for 7.00 (including shipping and handling).
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                X