Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SMS Research

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    [...] I can't tell if they're really legit -- they could be a scammer trying to trap personal info.[...].
    One suggestion would be to have one or more questions in mind to ask the caller. This, of course, takes some pre-planning. If s/he can answer them to your satisfaction, then you'll participate in the survey. I, personally, have one factual question I ask that pertains to the company and is public knowledge. The employee/caller should know the answer. If they don't or they refuse to answer, I decline to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      One suggestion would be to have one or more questions in mind to ask the caller. This, of course, takes some pre-planning. If s/he can answer them to your satisfaction, then you'll participate in the survey. I, personally, have one factual question I ask that pertains to the company and is public knowledge. The employee/caller should know the answer. If they don't or they refuse to answer, I decline to participate.
      The surveyee asking the surveyor a survey.....hmmmmmm.....how intriguing!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I occasionally get called for surveys. I've never been asked to provide specific personal info. They will ask general questions to classify me into a certain "group" and many survey questions are geared to certain groups such as registered voters, seniors, etc. If it's convenient - I take part. and trying to figure out who commissioned the survey from the questions they ask is also fun! I also participate in the Zoogby Surveys which are done online - also have never been asked a personal info specific question.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I don't recall ever getting telephone surveys - but MAIL surveys I get regularly, from:
          The American Civil Liberties Union
          The National Rifle Association
          The Brady Campaign Against Handgun Violence
          An organization for 'The Preservation of Social Security and Medicare'
          Some tree-hugger group of which I forget the name

If I have spare time (that is if it doesn't keep me off HT), and they have pre-stamped return envelopes, I participate. So much for 'random sampling surveys.'

"This Random Sample Survey comprises those participants too cheap to provide their own stamps, who don't have something better to do at the moment."

Oh yes, all of the above, no exception, ask for donations - usually starting at $25.

Go figger their motivation.....

K$
          Last edited by Kaonohi; December 28, 2009, 09:11 PM. Reason: Tie pough graf ictial errors! (ohmy!)
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I don't mind taking surveys and kind of enjoy them. The only ones I don't like are the ones that ask a lot of boring questions, such as my opinions on banking or airlines. The ones having to do with hot politcal issues are the most fun.

Comment

FYI since it hasnt been mentioned yet, i came across this earlier today "Sam Slom is a professional consulting economist, president and executive director of SmartBusiness Hawaii’ (SBH), and owner of his own business, SMS Consultants. He is also a Republican State Senator (8th District Oahu), Hawaii Kai to Diamond Head."
              the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                Sam Slom is a professional consulting economist, president and executive director of SmartBusiness Hawaii’ (SBH), and owner of his own business, SMS Consultants
                The two business names are similar but not the same business.

http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/documents/search.html

The registrant for SMS Consultants is SAMUEL M. SLOM
                PRIVATE BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC CONSULTING FIRM

The registrant for SMS Research is HERSH SINGER
                PUBLIC OPINION RESEARCH

I think Sen. Slom is off the hook for the phone solicitations.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I did an on-site survey once, somewhere on Merchant Street, and got paid $35. That was cool.

On the other hand, I spent 30 minutes once doing an extensive survey by one of these companies for Zippy's. The gal was nice enough, and I was single at the time. Okay, I got suckered!

The bummer part was that I wasn't even offered a gift certificate or coupon or anything like that. Just a big thanks. I decided never to do those type of surveys again, unless I get something in return. I think it's fair to expect at least something small in return. After all, these research companies are getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                    I did an on-site survey once, somewhere on Merchant Street, and got paid $35. That was cool.

On the other hand, I spent 30 minutes once doing an extensive survey by one of these companies for Zippy's. The gal was nice enough, and I was single at the time. Okay, I got suckered!

The bummer part was that I wasn't even offered a gift certificate or coupon or anything like that. Just a big thanks. I decided never to do those type of surveys again, unless I get something in return. I think it's fair to expect at least something small in return. After all, these research companies are getting paid.
                    She did offer you a thank you and she did ask if you would like to participate. She obviously didn't ask you if you'd want a gift certificate or coupon, so I don't understand why you'd expect something that wasn't offered.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      She did offer you a thank you and she did ask if you would like to participate. She obviously didn't ask you if you'd want a gift certificate or coupon, so I don't understand why you'd expect something that wasn't offered.
                      No, I didn't mean to imply I was scammed or misled. I just had afterthoughts after the testosterone levels stabilized. One answer led to another question, til it got to the point where I had to just finish the darn thing.

Maybe I thought she'd offer me for a date...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                        No, I didn't mean to imply I was scammed or misled. I just had afterthoughts after the testosterone levels stabilized. One answer led to another question, til it got to the point where I had to just finish the darn thing.

Maybe I thought she'd offer me for a date...
                        Hmmm my sister was one of those surveyors and I don't think you'd want to date my sister...if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                        X