"Lost" - Season 5: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" - Season 5: Episode & Storyline Discussion

I need the break, but why is there no show next week?

I got a little dizzy trying to figure out the times of each sequence.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Highlights of tonight's episode:
      1. There is a few seconds view of the back of a big statue
      2. James, Jin, Juliet, Miles and Daniel are in the past when the Dharma Initative are on the island
      3. And they spent the next 3 years staying with the Dharma Initative
      4. Richard Alpert makes an apperance
      5. James says he and the rest of the gang got shipwrecked while looking for a ship called the Black Rock.
      6. Jack, Kate and Hurley are shown at the end of episode meeting up with James

And for some strange reason Lost is taking the next week off.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
        I got a little dizzy trying to figure out the times of each sequence.
        What we need is an easy-to-follow timeline chart.

Comment

So it seems our Oceanic 6 are stuck in 1974 or 1977? The time travel seems to have stopped with the crash of the Boeing 737 flight the Oceanic 6 were on and their disappearance from that flight as stated by that Ceasar guy. What year are they stuck in anyway? Time is all messed up in this series.... I agree, a timeline would be nice to have.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My wife and I blogged our thoughts on the episode last night. We both liked it a lot. There are already over 100 comments on the post from other fans, most similarly satisfied.

Timeline-wise, last night's episode bookended a three-year span between 1974 and 1977. 1974 was where Sawyer, Juliet, Miles and Daniel stopped time jumping for good (after Locke turned the wheel in 1955). We see how they became part of the Dharma Initiative by 1977, Sawyer as head of security under the name LaFleur. And we now know that Jack, Kate, and Hurley are also in 1977, despite having gotten aboard Ajira Airlines 316 in 2007.

I agree the time jumping was disorienting (though the brief "way back" jump to the days of the giant statue was a great tease). But we're reassured that we're now going to be spending considerable time in 1977.

This will give us a new perspective on the history of the Dharma Initiative as only picked up in bits and pieces since Season 2. Most tantalizingly, we're right around the time when young Ben and his dad Roger arrive. As we know, Ben eventually betrays the Dharma Initiative on behalf of the mysterious, hostile, indigenous island people guided by Richard Alpert. Will our original survivors now survive "The Purge"?

EDIT: But... that means they'd have to stick around through the early 1990s. Hmm. The 1970s is also when "The Incident" at The Swan happened. Perhaps this long-referenced serious disturbance in the space-time continuum is how our original survivors get out of the past?

If you want a long and very detailed timeline of the island's history, see how fans have pieced it together as best they can on the Lostpedia wiki. It helpfully combines everything we've learned since Season 2 with some of the big glimpses we've gotten in the time jumps this season.
            Last edited by pzarquon; March 5, 2009, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I am kind of wondering how James and the gang knew that they were in 1974 as opposed to saying it was 1975, or 1978. I don't remember anyone blurting out the year in the episode.

I also think that Ben is not the only one who betrayed the Dharma Initiative, Mikihal was also working for Dharma when the purged happened, maybe he didn't help The Others before the purge but he also didn't help the Dharma Initiative either.

As far as the statue, I wonder if it's a statue of Richard Alpert?

And Amy's baby it runs the gambit of Ethan, Goodwin, James (aka Sawyer), Ben or Desmond. Heck I will even suggest either Scott or Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                I need the break, but why is there no show next week?
                I checked Oceanic's Digital Cable Service for Wednesday, March 11. Lost will air on 8pm but it's a repeat last night's episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post
                  Is Christian alive on the island? Difficult to tell, really.
                  Agree. That's why I put "alive" in quotes. He may not be alive in the traditional sense but clearly he exists in some form (apparition, hallucination) as we see him on the beach, in Jacob's cabin and underground by the wheel.

Although unlike Christian, Locke does appear to be quite alive now that he's back on the island.

Comment

Yes Locke is quite alive when he says "I remember dying" Now, in what year is he when he says that?
                    Bic
                    http://miceandchips.com/bluemood

Comment

What an episode, the highlights
                      1. Ben, Sun, Frank, and the rest of the Flight 316 are in the show's present (2007)
                      2. Hugo, Kate, Jack and Sayid are in 1977 with James, Juliet, Jin and Miles
                      3. So what happen to Daniel?
                      4. Sun hit Ben with a paddle
                      5. Flight 316 landed on a makeshift runway on the other island
                      6. The Swan station was being designed in 1977
                      7. Ethan was born in 1977
                      8. Ben as a kid is on the island in 1977

Comment

My favorite part of the episode was when young Ben told Sayid his name. The look on Sayid's face was difficult to discern (good on Naveen's part) but he definitely was wigged out, at least a bit. Whether or not Sayid has figured out it's 1977 just based on that, I don't know, but I think Sayid's relationship with young Ben is going to play a major part in Sayid's journey for the rest of this season.

I thought the child actor that plays young Ben subtly nailed the look of innocence and creepiness when he said "My name is Ben."

Next week's ep is supposed to be Sayid-centric, or at least partially! Yaaay! I think they've been under-utilizing Naveen Andrews so I can't wait to see the focus shift toward him.
                        Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

My wife and I blogged our thoughts on last night's episode:
                          For the gears of “LOST” to turn, you need some nuts and bolts — not sexy, but necessary. Tonight’s episode polished off the inevitable reunification with Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid in 1977, and laid out how things went with the Ajira Airlines survivors in the distant future. Basically, everyone was plotted neatly on a map to make clear the movements and machinations to come. “Namaste” offered few surprises, then, but was still meaty and enjoyable.
                          Sawyer's lecture to Jack, Christian Shephard's appearance, the Ben and Ethan reveals, and Sun's thwack were good moments. Don't like the clear suggestion that we're going to go right back to a Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle, though.

Comment

You might have a Kate-Sawyer-Juliet triangle which might replace the Kate-Jack-Juliet triangle or perhaps there might be a Jack-Juliet-Sawyer triangle as well too.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              You might have a Kate-Sawyer-Juliet triangle which might replace the Kate-Jack-Juliet triangle or perhaps there might be a Jack-Juliet-Sawyer triangle as well too.
                              If you have two triangles placed over one another, wouldn't that be a hexagram? That's a complicated relationship.

I don't even want to think what three triangles place one over the other would be.

Comment

Well it's more of a four way thing between Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet, it really depnds on Jack and Kate since it seems that Sawyer has forgetten about Kate.

Juliet has the hots for Sawyer now since over the past 3 years Sawyer has come to trust her.

The big fallout is on Jack and Kate, their 3 years on the outside had it ups and downs. For whatever reason Kate doesn't trust Jack with either the fate of Aaron or whatever she did concerning Sawyer in the outside world which might have countered the story of the Oceanic Six told to the rest of the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X