This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

I just realize the Superferry is too big. It has the maximum capacity to carry 800 passengers?

Does it have to be that big to handle the rough water of Hawai'i?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      I just realize the Superferry is too big. It has the maximum capacity to carry 800 passengers? Does it have to be that big to handle the rough water of Hawai'i?
      No, not because of rough waters, though the bigger the boat, the smoother (and faster) the ride. But everyone will be thrilled with the big size when the next Hurricane Iniki hits and the big boat can easily transport emergency supplies and equipment and so forth. Ditto for forest fires, earthquakes, tsunamis, et al. The big fast SuperFerry will be the hero.
      And I believe we'll see regular ridership double (or more) as spring and summer get here.
      I'll also bet that another consideration when they chose the size was its resale value, if things don't work out here. I'm sure they explored contingency plans and alternate locations, and picked a one-size-fits-all.
      I think SuperFerry is just the right size.

By the way, they also announced today that they're extending the $39 fare offer for an extra three months! Hooray!!!
      Last edited by LikaNui; January 5, 2008, 11:23 AM. Reason: added info about extending the special fare and i felt to share that with everyone and so i hope i did not make offense

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Speaking of emergencies, the Superferry will finally move the National Guard emergency equipment from Oahu to Maui tomorrow afternoon.

An estimated 27 pieces of Hawaii National Guard heavy engineer equipment to include a Bulldozer, Bobcat mini-loaders, dump trucks, and SEEs (mini-excavators) are scheduled to travel to Maui via Hawaii Superferry on January 7th. The next day, Oahu-based National Guard personnel will join 49 Maui Guardsmen to begin extensive debris removal work. The equipment will be used to assist in the cleanup of areas affected on Maui after heavy rains caused excessive flooding and debris in early December.
        The above was cut and pasted from a press release that was forwarded to me.

It is a good thing that Superferry has decided to stay with their base fare of $39 for a few more months. That is not very short of the fare estimate they were going to run with from the time they thought about starting service way back in 2004.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          I think SuperFerry is just the right size.
          Perhaps, but I still think it's too big if SuperFerry should decided to service a Moloka'i route in the far* future.

*Like when I need mobilized wheelchair future.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            "The second voyage also will greatly benefit our commercial customers, giving them more flexibility in reaching their markets."

That's a key point. If they can entice more commercial customers with the higher frequency, they can sustain themselves even with lower passenger count.
            Here is another one. One can sell the concept of doing a day trip to Maui (expect for Saturdays).

Comment

I know this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to see a timetable set up with the 2 trips to be convienent for those who live in Maui and may have projects or jobs to do in Honolulu. I know I'd find it helpful to be able to hop on the ferry early in the morning with my car and be able to return later that day/evening. But I am probably the only one..........

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                I know this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to see a timetable set up with the 2 trips to be convienent for those who live in Maui and may have projects or jobs to do in Honolulu. I know I'd find it helpful to be able to hop on the ferry early in the morning with my car and be able to return later that day/evening. But I am probably the only one..........
                Actually, that can be possible if the ferry decides to pull a red eye trip. Let's say boarding at Oahu around 11PM and then depart 12AM. Instead of 35 knots, let's say they do half the speed at around 17/18 knots. That would make the trip from 3 hrs into 6 hrs. Pull into Maui around 6 ish. Then return back to Oahu at normal speed. Second trip will be at regular speed. Wonder if people would like that schedule? Can the ship run for so many hours and still have adequate time for maintenance?

Comment

A few bits from this story in today's Advertiser:
                  Maui kids cruise to museum on Superferry
                  Last night, 10-year-old Kaleinani Kamali'i had one of those memories that will last a lifetime: a sleepover at the Bishop Museum following a three-hour cruise from her home on Maui.
                  But it may have Kaleinani's grandmother, Jane Kamali'i, who was more thrilled by the trip.
                  "It's an awesome idea. Very exciting," Jane said.
                  The two were among 38 youngsters and seven adults from the Boys and Girls Club of Maui who got to spend the night in the museum's science center as part of a new program offered by the Hawaii Superferry.
                  The idea, company officials said yesterday, is to provide occasional free transportation to deserving nonprofit groups traveling between islands for educational purposes. The company expects to offer such trips to other groups about once a month, said Lani Olds, Superferry's director of customer experience.
                  For the Maui youngsters, some of them making their first trip to O'ahu, the 24-hour experience offered a little something for everyone: adventure (and video games) on the open sea, history lessons, a chance to see the Islands from the ocean as the first Hawaiians might have, a hands-on night in the museum's Science Adventure Center and planetarium, time in the gift shop, and an early morning (5 a.m.!) wake-up call for a trip back home.
                  (...)
                  Olds said the ferry's Manta Explorer program is designed to help youngsters continue learning about the islands. For the inaugural voyage, the company partnered with the museum and Polynesian Adventure Tours, which donated the services of a 57-passenger bus and driver from Maui to accompany the children on the ferry and give them a lift to the museum.
                  (...)
                  Much more at the link above.
                  I wonder if those Maui protesters were there b*tching about this too.

Comment

One of the Superferry execs told me last week that the protests at Maui have pretty much died out.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      One of the Superferry execs told me last week that the protests at Maui have pretty much died out.
                      Typical protester action. As soon as the media stop covering them, they stop protesting.
                      Anybody know if there's a website that has ridership figures? I'm curious about the daily number of passengers and cars going each way.

Comment

I was working last night at the museum. We're always at work more than at home, eh?!

The kids had a blast. Didn't know it was gonna be in the newspapers though.
                        Must admit quite a few were queasy for a while upon arrival, but were fine.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Anybody know if there's a website that has ridership figures? I'm curious about the daily number of passengers and cars going each way.
                          While I was shooting pics for HawaiiReporter.com last weekend, I asked the same exec how their passenger loads were. He said they "were less than expected" for this time of the year. He elaborated that the weather and holidays contributed to the slow start but expects numbers to pick up as time progresses.

I think Superferry has 2 marketing plans, one to reach island travelers and another to reach Hawaii's business community. They had a booth at last week Wednesday's Small Business Hawaii conference where 2 sets of printed materials were available to inform the 2 different groups. Plus they had a nice mock-up of the Superferry itself.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Very sad Breaking News story about the cargo plane that crashed off of Kauai this morning. I hope they find the pilot, but the chances are pretty slim. The story includes this:
                            The Alpine Air plane that crashed this morning off Kaua'i was carrying approximately 4,200 pounds of U.S. mail, U.S. Postal Service spokesman Duke Gonzales said. The cargo was likely a mix of mail from Hawai'i, the Mainland and international points, he said.
                            Some of the mail has been recovered, and any salvageable pieces will be delivered, Gonzales said.
                            Two to three flights a day carry mail to Kaua'i, he said. Alpine Air is subcontracted by Postal Service contractor Corporate Air to fly mail to several destinations within the state.
                            I'm wondering if this mail delivery service couldn't be done for Maui and Kauai (and, later, the Big Island) on the SuperFerry... cheaper, more reliably, and safer.
                            Whatcha think?

Comment

I'm wondering if this mail delivery service couldn't be done for Maui and Kauai (and, later, the Big Island) on the SuperFerry... cheaper, more reliably, and safer.
                              Whatcha think?
                              I think lowest qualified bidder wins. Maybe next bidding round it will be HSF.

Comment

Whatcha think?
                                I don't know if it would be any cheaper overall, while the cost of transport services might be cheaper, you would have to pay a person to accompany the mail on the SuperFerry as well and also pay living expensives while on the other island since they have to stay overnight and then go back on the return trip the next day (or a group of them actually).

The way it's done now (I am assuming), the people handling the mail on the ground don't have to travel with the mail while it's flying on the plane.

Comment

Working...
                                X