First Kolea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Kolea

Finally saw my first two near Lynch Field in the Hickam area. I have a feeling they've been there for a week or more but I've been too busy to notice. Which says a lot about my week.

They do fly back in flocks, and they seem to gather every so often in non-feeding areas (the roof of the Whole Foods Market in Kahala is said to be one of these meeting areas, but I've not seen that), so it's not that unusual to see them close together. Yes, they tend to be very territorial, but they have their social moments. No wonder I feel such kinship with them.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I saw one two weeks ago. I am waiting for the one that lives on my roof at night to appear. Looks so great as a silhouette against the waning sky.

Comment

None in Ahuimanu.... Yet.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Well I guess its time to haul out the long zoom lenses.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Are these kolea or some sort of sandpiper?

IMG_2876 by thealmightymiranda, on Flickr
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

The white stripe that goes around the eye and down the neck says kolea to me, but I'm not an expert. I know there are stilt-legged sandpipers that look like koleas, though. I'll ask a friend.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                The white stripe that goes around the eye and down the neck says kolea to me, but I'm not an expert.
                Agreed. They look exactly like kolea. I'll be curious to hear an answer.
                Interesting that the regular kolea in my kuleana are already changing. When they first arrive from Alaska each year they're very skinny from that long flight and they're also very frightened if any human gets within 100 yards of them. But now just a couple of weeks later they've already put some weight back on and they're already much more mellow. For years I quietly talk to them for a minute each time I see them, so I guess they realize there's no danger. One of the regular kolea used to walk right up while I was outside eating lunch and it would get within about 5' and then just hang out. Way cool.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

My neighborhood kolea snuck in this year: quiet, hiding, they are all back now except # 644, who perhaps passed on. Or crossed the street, as we have 2 where we had 1. (in an acre).
                  Glad to have them back - maybe they are all shy newbies?
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I always thought "Kolea" was the Hawiian word used for "Korean"

Comment

As mentioned in the Blue Angels thread, I was surprised that one of the kolea on my property sat right on top of the roof during that very very noisy air show. Here are two photos of it:

And in this next one, its face isn't quite as clear (it just started moving) but its standing a little higher and you can see that it's put on a little weight since the flight back from Alaska:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We have a yearly rooftop dweller too! I just so love having him there! I always wave and tell him "hello" everyday. Nice pictures! That is a great little camera you have!

Comment

Nice shot of the Kolea on the roof. I saw one this afternoon at Kakaako Park, but unfortunately I did not have my camera ready.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Saw my first Kolea this morning at Ala Moana (Magic Island), two of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X