Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Online and computerized descrambler tools are neat, but they're more likely to choke when it comes to names, especially, you know, local names. So, of course, they make the best scrambles. I've never tried the pyramid trick before, but I can imagine how it works. Interesting.

Comment

I solved the anagrams I was having difficulty with by taking out my Scrabble board and tiles and rearranged the letters in the tough ones until I found a name that sounded familiar in the realm of Hawai'i personalities.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Online and computerized descrambler tools are neat, but they're more likely to choke when it comes to names, especially, you know, local names. So, of course, they make the best scrambles. I've never tried the pyramid trick before, but I can imagine how it works. Interesting.
        One of the anagram sites I used had sub-categories for names, male, female, Japanese, Spanish and other languages. The Japanese option helped me find Pat Hamamoto and Emily Chang. The names helped me narrow done Daniel, and that only left me the letters to spell "Inouye"... But overall the anagram gens usually help you with English words and names.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
          I solved the anagrams I was having difficulty with by taking out my Scrabble board and tiles and rearranged the letters in the tough ones until I found a name that sounded familiar in the realm of Hawai'i personalities.

I solved the anagrams because 1) most of the names were oldies-but-goodies (thanks Scrivener) and 2) when I googled Hawaii and celebrities, I got a list of caricatures by an artist. Some of the names showed up on this list.

Two I previously knew nothing about: Pat Hamamoto and Emily Chang.

Palama Kid
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Well, everyone else on your list is, you know, real? Are "Lilo & Stitch" Hawaii personalities?
            Oh sure...you want them all to be as easy as "Hell Yuk," hm?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Oh sure...you want them all to be as easy as "Hell Yuk," hm?

Hey! Quit fartin' around. Mark our tests! Tally the scores! Make like a teacher and give us our grades!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It's the Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
                Here are the answers for day 25!

Question 1
                Category: You Belong Among the Wildflowers
                According to many differing legends, what Hawaiian flower came to be when lovers were forced to separate, with one now living near the sea and the other in the mountains?
                There are many very different versions of the story; just Google Naupaka and you're bound to turn them up! Congratulations to jdub, moto, pzarquon, glen miyashiro, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, and mel for getting to the root of that question and leafing no doubt about their brilliance.

Question 2
                Category: Say Hello to My Little Friends
                Whose friends include Spike, Shermy, Rerun, Franklin, and 5?
                Technically, Spike is Snoopy's brother and not really Charlie Brown's friend, but you get the drift. Wah-wah-wah, wah-wah-wah-wah wah to moto, pzarquon, helen (who said "Peppermint Patty," but that's good enough), palama kid, surfingfarmboy, lavanet, and mel for knowing their Schlabotnik.

Question 3
                Category: I See Your True Colors Shining Through
                Yellow, blue, red, purple, orange, ________, maroon, black.
                If you noticed these colors while watching ESPN, what color would best fit in the blank?
                These are the colors of the first 8 balls in a standard pool set. The six-ball is green, which moto, pzarquon, helen, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, and mel all got right!

Here're the Current Standings!
                67.045: surfingfarmboy
                55: zztype
                47.545: mel
                41.42: lavagal
                40.375: pzarquon
                35: tiptoetulip
                34: shave ice
                29.93: helen
                27: glen miyashiro
                21.08: kevin_jay
                10: kimo55
                9.67: palama kid
                9.625: kilinahe
                5: moto
                3: pomai
                2.75: jdub
                2: madazza

Next post: new questions!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 26!

Question 1
                  Category: Uh-Huh, Sugar Sugar
                  What's the name of the locally available Japanese candy wrapped in edible rice paper and packaged with what used to be a fun little toy but is now usually a sticker or a removable tattoo?

Question 2
                  Category: Pie are Square
                  What is the Greek name for a "pie" made with filo leaves, feta cheese, and spinach?

Question 3
                  Category: Bottle Rock-it
                  What nationally distributed soda is sold in bottles labeled with photographs sent in by loyal drinkers?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 27!

Good luck, and have fun!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 26!

Question 1
                    Category: Uh-Huh, Sugar Sugar
                    What's the name of the locally available Japanese candy wrapped in edible rice paper and packaged with what used to be a fun little toy but is now usually a sticker or a removable tattoo?
                    What the heck is Botan Ame? Three people submitted that as an answer, and I'm taking it, but what is it?

The answer I was LOOKING for was TOMOE AME. Little plastic cars with removable snap-on wheels go to mel, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, leo_lakio, pzarquon, and palama kid for eating through that one.

Fun answer from Surfingfarmboy:
                    I guess one would just call it "ame". I remember two brands of it..."Botan Ame" and "Tomoe Ame". Good stuff! My alltime fav Japanese candy imports: The grape Hi-Chews and those blocks of colorful, fruit flavored millet jelly cubes, also wrapped in the melt-a-way rice paper. And also: The Kasugai pineapple gummies! Wow...I could go on and on! Can't wait to get back home in about 4 weeks...I'm going to Daiei and load up on these goodies! I gotta say this about Japanese candies...it seems they are all redundantly wrapped...you have unwrap 3 layers of wrapping of each piece before you get to the candy..well, sometimes it just seems so!
                    Question 2
                    Category: Pie are Square
                    What is the Greek name for a "pie" made with filo leaves, feta cheese, and spinach?
                    Spanakopita. It's good, but spend your bucks on a shawerma or a souvlaki. Spanakopita is always overpriced for what it is. Grape leaves and hummus go to mel, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, leo_lakio, pzarquon, palama kid, and lavarock for eating through that one!

Question 3
                    Category: Bottle Rock-it
                    What nationally distributed soda is sold in bottles labeled with photographs sent in by loyal drinkers?
                    Jones Soda! If I were a teenager, I'd collect these things. Good thing I'm no teenager. Root beers go to mel, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, leo_lakio, pzarquon, palama kid, and lavagal for slurping that one down!

A little note: zz's scores weren't up last night because I never got the pmail he insists he sent. Given his track record for participation, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and awarding him three points, which are reflected in the scores that follow.

I'd do the same for you.

Here are the current standings!
                    70.045: surfingfarmboy
                    61: zztype
                    50.545: mel
                    43.42: lavagal
                    43.375: pzarquon
                    29.93: helen
                    12.67: palama kid
                    8: moto
                    3: pomai, leo_lakio

New questions, next post!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 27! Only four days to go, or thereabouts!

Question 1
                      Category: How to Get Ahead (contestant-submitted question)
                      After this TV villain was executed his head was stuck on a pike "as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price." What was the name of this villain and from what television program is this?

Question 2
                      Category: Praise the Lord (contestant-submitted question)
                      Question: Jack Lord, the famous actor who starred in Hawaii Five-O, is indirectly immortalized with a natural topographical landmark within the State of Hawai'i. What is the name of this landmark, and on what island will you find it?

Question 3
                      Category: Yet Another Literature Question (HT-submitted question)
                      What nineteenth century writer's novel for children inspired the name of a psychopathological condition that causes one to perceive objects as being much smaller than their actual size, as when a pet cat appears to be the size of a small rat, and what is the name of the syndrome?

Half-point bonus question: This condition has another name that is also literature-inspired! What novel inspired this second name?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 28!

Good luck, and have fun!
                      Last edited by scrivener; October 27, 2005, 11:16 PM. Reason: "Sun's up, m-hm, looks okay; the world survives into another day. . ."
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        What the heck is Botan Ame? Three people submitted that as an answer, and I'm taking it, but what is it? The answer I was LOOKING for was TOMOE AME.
                        When I told my sweetie about this question and my answer, she knew it as Tomoe Ame as well, but I've always been able to get it on the Mainland (even when I was growing up in Iowa) as Botan Ame; complete with the little toy cars and stuff - now just the stickers. Google "Botan Ame" and you'll find it easily. Thanks for the points!

P.S.) Jones Soda is bottled here in li'l ol' Seattle, so I HAD to know that one.

Comment

Oops. Double post.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 27!

Question 1
                            Category: How to Get Ahead (contestant-submitted question)
                            After this TV villain was executed his head was stuck on a pike "as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price." What was the name of this villain and from what television program is this?
                            Not only did helen correctly answer Mr. Morden from Babylon 5, but helen also guessed that it was Mel who submitted the question! Also coming through for mel on that one were zztype, helen, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, palama kid, and lavagal! Mel gets a point, too, since at least two people got it right.

Question 2
                            Category: Praise the Lord (contestant-submitted question)
                            Question: Jack Lord, the famous actor who starred in Hawaii Five-O, is indirectly immortalized with a natural topographical landmark within the State of Hawai'i. What is the name of this landmark, and on what island will you find it?
                            Here's the answer sent in by Surfingfarmboy:
                            Answer: Pu'u BookEmDanno, a volcanic rise, approximately 7600 ft. above sea
                            level, is found on the Big Island, about 2 miles east of the Honuaula Forest
                            Reserve, in North Kona.

Source: The DeLorme Hawaii Atlas and Gazetteer, 1999 edition.
                            Aaaaaaaaand nobody got it! No points to anyone! No, pz, you don't get half a point for just guessing the Big Island!

Question 3
                            Category: Yet Another Literature Question (HT-submitted question)
                            What nineteenth century writer's novel for children inspired the name of a psychopathological condition that causes one to perceive objects as being much smaller than their actual size, as when a pet cat appears to be the size of a small rat, and what is the name of the syndrome?

Half-point bonus question: This condition has another name that is also literature-inspired! What novel inspired this second name?
                            From Peshkwe: The Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, inspired by Lewis Carrol. This is also known as Liliputian sight, which is inspired by Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels.

zztype, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, palama kid, and mel got the question right as well as the bonus half-point. Peshkwe gets on the board with these first points!

72.545: surfingfarmboy
                            63.5: zztype
                            53.045: mel
                            44.42: lavagal
                            45.875: pzarquon
                            30.93: helen
                            15.17: palama kid
                            1.5: peshkwe

New questions, next thingie.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 28! Only three (?) days to go, or thereabouts!

Question 1
                              Category: Tickling the Ivories
                              What notes, at the very least, make up a dominant seventh chord played in D major?

Question 2
                              Category: Clowntime is Over
                              Question: Diana Krall played with the Honolulu Symphony Pops last spring, and Elvis Costello is playing with the Honolulu Symphony Pops next spring. What's oddly interesting about these two concerts?

Question 3
                              Category: Hop to It!
                              What beer's bottles are labeled with the number 33?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 29!

Good luck, and have fun!
                              Last edited by scrivener; October 28, 2005, 11:42 PM. Reason: "Who's making lover's lane safe again for lovers?"
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answersfor day 28!

Question 1
                                Category: Tickling the Ivories
                                What notes, at the very least, make up a dominant seventh chord played in D major?
                                D, F#, A, and C#! Ah, the trill of victory goes to zztype and surfingfarmboy!

Question 2
                                Category: Clowntime is Over
                                Question: Diana Krall played with the Honolulu Symphony Pops last spring, and Elvis Costello is playing with the Honolulu Symphony Pops next spring. What's oddly interesting about these two concerts?
                                Well, they're married. I don't guess that happens very often. zztype, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, lavagal, and mel all got that one. Man, that Elvis show is going to rock.

Question 3
                                Category: Hop to It!
                                What beer's bottles are labeled with the number 33?
                                Rolling Rock, which Lavagal says was her "first beer and worst hangover!" A tall cold one to zztype, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, lavagal, and mel for rolling right over that.

75.545: surfingfarmboy
                                66.5: zztype
                                55.045: mel
                                46.42: lavagal
                                47.875: pzarquon
                                30.93: helen
                                17.17: palama kid
                                1.5: peshkwe

New questions, next post!
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X