Geocaching Treasure Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geocaching Treasure Hunting

There's a sport that has caught on here called Geocaching. Check out www.geocaching.com . It takes a GPS unit to find coordinates to where someone has hidden a treasure box. Many times it is an old army ammo box or a plastic container with toys or other swag in it. There are over 300 just on Oahu already. There's also a section of HawaiiThreads dedicated to the "local" cachers. Check out GPSHawai'i. Have fun!
    Last edited by Menehune Man; August 25, 2005, 01:54 PM. Reason: Fix Link
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Geocaching Treasure Hunting

Now for a shameless plug of my hides...

1) Secret Menehune Fishing Spot - GCMFAC

2) Menehune Water Source - GCMNPJ

3) Ala Wai Peninsula - GCMMWZ

The GC lettering are called waypoints and you can find out the coordinates using them or the names on the Geocaching site. Happy Hunting!

Comment

I've been Geocaching here in Texas for a while and when i was on the Big Island in July did a bit there.

It's alot of fun for those of you who have not tried it, it's like an easter egg hunt for big kids :-P
      Got Absinthe?

Comment

Went for a hike with a friend up Mariner's Ridge in Hawaii Kai. There are 2 Geocaches along that trail called "Ancient Mariner" and "Sub-Mariner Rock Box". When we reached the summit, the view was above Waimanalo and all the way to Mokoli'i(Chinaman's Hat) Island.

Comment

Just had a terrific day of hiking and geocaching with a couple of friends. I bagged 7 finds today. We went up and over Koko Crater and the views into Hanauma Bay and towards Diamond Head were awesome. Then went to Makapuu Lighthouse area for alot more walking and talking while finding hidden treasure boxes. Check it out. Gets you to go to places you may not or haven't been for awhile. Aloha!

Comment

Went for a choice Geo-hike out Waianae/Kaena Point. Parked just past Keawe Ula (Yokohama's) Beach and walked out to the point. There's a really cool cave and some natural arches along the way. Then we rounded the corner and went a couple of miles on the Mokuleia side and found "Manini Gulch"- a beautiful little valley with straight up rock cliffsides about 150' and in some places less than 50' wide across the bottom. We saw a Pueo by the valley and some Albatross' by the point. Then of course we had to get back to the car so it was quite a few miles. Well worth the effort. Come soon it will be whale watching season too. As Arnold would say... I'll be back.

Comment

Nice to see other geocachers here!

We have a few on Kauai.

Welcome to Jurassic Park gets the most raves and emails from people for the adventure.

The Way to Waialeale is a little more difficult and not as frequented but people seem to like it.

Tiny Bubbles is one people really like too not just for the location but the theme of the cache too.

Hope to see some cachers out and about!

Comment

I hope this LINK works. It was an incredible adventure up to the Koolau summit from the back of Kuliouou Valley. Check it out folks. This is Hawaii at it's finest!
                Note: There are many pages of photos. Keep clicking next.

Comment

Wow Menehune Man. Very rugged, breathtaking and beautiful photos! If I were in my 20s again, I'd probably consider something like this. Today I just run out of breath walking over a speed bump.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                    I hope this LINK works. It was an incredible adventure up to the Koolau summit from the back of Kuliouou Valley. Check it out folks. This is Hawaii at it's finest!
                    Note: There are many pages of photos. Keep clicking next.
                    I was thinking of geocaching as one of those flat-aiea-loop-trail type hikes, but man, I lost my breath while I was viewing those photos.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man

I hope this LINK works. It was an incredible adventure up to the Koolau summit from the back of Kuliouou Valley.
                      The link works just fine for showing the steep slopes and ridges at the back of that beautiful and lush valley where I grew up. I always loved to watch those tall Norfolk pines blowing back and forth in the wind way up at the top of the valley and still find myself doing so whenever I head back home.

Any thoughts of hiking back there by myself were discouraged by the many, many times I've seen the Honolulu Fire Department send their ground and air rescue squads back there to find hikers who, for whatever reasons, couldn't make it out on their own by nightfall.

Mahalo, Menehune Man, for allowing me to finally take that hike, albeit vicariously, with you.

Comment

The neatest thing about Geocaching is the hides. They range from anything like a small magnetic key holder hidden behind a sign Dowtown, short walks from your parked car at a scenic lookout to where the treasure box is, or mellow but wonderful hikes and just off the trail is an old ammo box full of toys and then of course there are the insane treks up the sides of mountains to find an old peanut butter jar (painted green) with a log book and pen. Too much fun I tell you and it gets me off the couch.

Comment

Holy cow. You guys are freaking nuts, man. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures!
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You know, I just realized that there's another sub forum dedicated to this kinda stuff here.

There's always something to find at HT.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              Holy cow. You guys are freaking nuts, man.
                              And now you're one of 'us', with your First find today. Welcome to Geocaching Scrivener!

Comment

Working...
                              X