Rod Blagojevich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feds Indict Illinois Governor

He's busted. Christmas got delivered early this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Now, less then a few months later, one of his own associates has been allegedly caught with his or hand in the cookie jar to the tune of $1 million. IMHO, this individual will not escape criminal prosecution in this politically charged environment.

Let the denials begin...
      Well, as far as the evidence that has been presented to the public thus far, I'm not aware of the FBI having any wiretap recordings that directly incriminates Jackson or any of his surrogates asking/offering any illegal deals to the governor. What Gov. Blagojevich and his cronies are discussing on tape is hearsay. This is a very important point to keep in mind.

But as I said in my previous post, even if Jackson is never charged, this whole thing is politically damaging to him. If a special election proceeds for Obama's senatorial seat (as is widely expected), can you imagine the kinds of questions that Jackson will be hounded with if he throws his hat into the ring? He's gonna be mercilessly grilled with queries regarding this investigation. If he keeps saying "I will not be taking any questions on the scandal" during a campaign like he did today, Jackson doesn't stand much chance of winning.

Today, President-elect Barack Obama called for Gov. Blagojevich to resign. Prosecutor Fitzgerald purports to have wiretap recordings, the likes of which appear quite damaging, so I can’t imagine what defense Blagojevich hopes to put forth, aside from the government taking his statements out of context.
      Blagojevich is toast. Politically, he's finished.

But with that said, I think Obama needs to be fully cooperative with law enforcement on the matter. This would include being completely forthcoming with any and all contacts with the governor, whether it be Obama himself or any member of his staff and transition team. My gut feeling is that Obama and his team will be cleared of any wrongdoing. But be that as it may, the new president still needs to be cooperative and transparent in this matter if he wants to prove that his administration will truly offer the change that they promised to voters during the campaign.

Make no mistake. Contact between Gov. Blagojevich and Obama's advisors/consultants have undoubtedly taken place. While I repeat my belief that no illegal deals were discussed, I'm not so naive as to think that Obama was completely disinterested in who would be taking his place in the Senate.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Blagojevich is toast. Politically, he's finished.
        And there are some who intend to ensure Blagojevich stays finished. Illinois State Rep. Jack Franks has issued Blago an ultimatum: resign by tomorrow, or he will introduce articles of impeachment against Blago! Did I mention Franks is a dem?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

And there are some who intend to ensure Blagojevich stays finished. Illinois State Rep. Jack Franks has issued Blago an ultimatum: resign by tomorrow, or he will introduce articles of impeachment against Blago! Did I mention Franks is a dem?
          The articles of impeachment should have been brought up a few days ago, get this going, Blagojevich deserves no Christmas break from his chicanery, the stuff he is accused of doing seems worse than Nixon in my opinion and this was a 3 year investigation that purposely was released after the election was over with. Good choice in my opinion that this was kept under wraps. Nail him with as many counts as possible and put him away for good!

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            The articles of impeachment should have been brought up a few days ago, get this going, Blagojevich deserves no Christmas break from his chicanery, the stuff he is accused of doing seems worse than Nixon in my opinion and this was a 3 year investigation that purposely was released after the election was over with. Good choice in my opinion that this was kept under wraps. Nail him with as many counts as possible and put him away for good!
            Not even close. Nixon's criminal acts were of National/international importance and effect. RB's is rotten to the core, but local overall, and nobody died.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Blagojevich deserves no Christmas break from his chicanery,
              ...and apparently he won’t get any. Blago’s chief of staff, John Harris, who is also named in the feds’ criminal complaint, resigned today. The one guy who could’ve taken part of the fall for Blago is now completely free to cut a deal and save his own hide.

Blagojevich’s Chief Of Staff Resigns

AP Photo

CHICAGO (WBBM) — The chief of staff to embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich has resigned.

John Harris submitted his resignation to Blagojevich in a letter dated Friday. Blagojevich spokesman Lucio Guerrero said the resignation was immediate and that no replacement was immediately named.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

I'm just glad Obama did not rise out of the chicanery of Chicago Machine Politics.

Doh!
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

its beginning to sound as if rahm emmanuel is the reason for obamas hedging yesterday when asked if his office had any contact with the gov of illinois about the senate seat. emmmanuel may have and it is probably on tape. he probably did not condemn the notion in order to be civil and will probably look bad if this is the case. he is just too smart to really be involved in this but it will look bad and he may have to go just to help keep obama clean.obama has too much at stake to get caught up in this at that level.http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1
                  Last edited by escondido100; December 12, 2008, 06:32 PM.
                  the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    I'm just glad Obama did not rise out of the chicanery of Chicago Machine Politics.

Doh!
                    All too easy to paint Illinois politicians with a broad brush. Takes research and knowledge to realize the important and vital contributions to our nation made by some key folks from the prairie state.

Might want to read up and develop an appreciation on some of 'em, Tim. Senator Paul Douglas. Governor Adlai Stevenson. Oh, and a fella' named Abe Lincoln.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      All too easy to paint Illinois politicians with a broad brush. Takes research and knowledge to realize the important and vital contributions to our nation made by some key folks from the prairie state.

Might want to read up and develop an appreciation on some of 'em, Tim. Senator Paul Douglas. Governor Adlai Stevenson. Oh, and a fella' named Abe Lincoln.
                      Don't forget Paul Simon, Harold Washington, Jane Byrne. And Ron if you don't think the possibly selling of a Senate seat has an impact on national politics I don't know what to think.

Aj

Comment

True. When I was at Northwestern we even took a class "Chicago Politics" with some of the major
                        politicos coming to lecture, it was a great and really popular class. The best visitor was alderman Vito Marzullo.

Comment

Ron if you don't think the possibly selling of a Senate seat has an impact on national politics I don't know what to think.
                          My bad, you're right. I got a bit over-buncuous there, but stand by my thot that Nixon was way worse.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                            When I was at Northwestern we even took a class "Chicago Politics" with some of the major politicos coming to lecture, it was a great and really popular class. The best visitor was alderman Vito Marzullo.
                            Yeah, I need to take that class (though it likely is a different scene since Marzullo’s passing nearly two decades ago). Frankly, I find it dumbfounding that Blagojevich is still hanging around while the threat of impeachment proceedings and his own state attorney general’s appeal for his removal to the Supreme Court looming large. Then again, his approval rating was 13% (worse than George W. Bush) before the scandal broke, so perhaps he figures things can only get better.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Well, score one for Blago. Apparently, the Illinois Supreme Court was not up to hearing the case for his removal by IL Attorney General Lisa Madigan. After listening to her shaky justification on Face the Nation the other day, I wouldn’t hear it either. Guess the quickest involuntary removal of the not-so-shrewd Serbian Gov, was also the least likely.
                              Illinois Court Won’t Hear Plea to Oust Blagojevich

By MONICA DAVEY and CATRIN EINHORN
                              Published: December 17, 2008

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Any prospect that the saga over Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich’s contested hold on power might end swiftly evaporated on Wednesday when the State Supreme Court refused to hear a request to remove him, and Mr. Blagojevich’s lawyer made it clear at an impeachment inquiry here that the governor had no intention of going quietly.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Okay, last post and I’ll shut up. I guess none of us have been paying attention over the holidays, because Blago has pulled another fast one!

Blagojevich Appoints Replacement for Obama

Wyatt Andrews — CBS News

Never mind that 50 Senate Democrats have said he's not welcome. Roland Burris today defiantly insisted he's already the replacement for Barack Obama in the U.S. Senate.

“I am the junior senator from Illinois, and I will be.. I will be seated,” Burris said.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X