Best Purchases of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Purchases of the Day

MJ & shaveice, sephora is to me as fry's is to eric. somehow, even if i'm at sephora for three hours, my feet and back do not magically ache, like they did the time we were at fry's in oregon for the same amount of time. conversely, fry's does not give eric a headache like sephora does.

best purchase this week was at nine west. i bought a thirty dollar mocassin that looks exactly like this one, except in sort of a patent burgundy instead of suede & animal print--for TEN BUCKS! they're so comfy & i love how chic they are. they're great with jeans, dressier shorts, and work pants! *adore*

they also had them in brown as well as a kelly green, but not in my size. bummer!
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      sephora is to me as fry's is to eric
      Oh dear...it all suddenly makes so much sense!

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Skin Formula 3V caps for Manele & Koele online, cheaper than buying them
        in the stores here with very low shipping. Not really an exciting purchase
        but certainly necessary for their soft silky fluffy coat maintenance.

Comment

on his way home from work two nights ago, eric stopped at monster safeway and grabbed a whole chicken for 99 cents a pound! woot woot! he's gonna roast it for our lunch tomorrow. *drool*
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

This week I went to Sephora to purchase the famous microfiber hair turban that came so highly recommended. My hair is thick and coarse and takes forever to dry.....so this will be put to good use.
            Still looking for the portable Food Saver that has been mentioned (checking ebay and craigslist).

Comment

The best bargains for used books, magazines, record albums (LPs), CDs and more are at this year's 61st Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale. The sale is bigger than ever, spilling out of the traditional McKinley High School Cafeteria into areas mauka and makai of the building. Many books in the cafeteria as well as in a big tent mauka of that and an adjacent building. On the ocean side is the music sale with a lot of CDs and record bargains.

I bought several scifi and media books for $1.50 or less each. I bought a small handful of vinyl and a Connells CD for $3.00 each.

Details at the Friends of the Library website. More photos at my Flickr website.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                My hair is thick and coarse and takes forever to dry.....so this will be put to good use.
                How did it work out for you?

I tried using it on our little one today. Just a wee bit too large I ended up using it like a towel.

61st Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale
                Cool. I like your vinyl pics. Too bad they don't have an online list of the books for sale, but of course it would cost money to have people do all that data entry.
                Last edited by MyopicJoe; June 28, 2008, 09:58 PM.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "

Comment

The fun about this book sale or any sale at a used book or record store for me, is "the hunt". Finding something that I have been looking for at a low bargain price is the attraction for me. Often these sales have one of a kind, often out of print items that you can find nowhere else. It takes time, but patience pays off. Here are some of the books I bought for $1.50 or less today:

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    The fun about this book sale or any sale at a used book or record store for me, is "the hunt".
                    True true. You have a good point there.

Nice hard covers. So much nicer than paper back, if you have the shelf space.
                    "

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      best purchase this week was at nine west. i bought a thirty dollar mocassin that looks exactly like this one, except in sort of a patent burgundy instead of suede & animal print--for TEN BUCKS! they're so comfy & i love how chic they are. they're great with jeans, dressier shorts, and work pants! *adore*

they also had them in brown as well as a kelly green, but not in my size. bummer!
                      I was just in Sharper Image Ala Moana this past Wednesday, and they had some nice suede mocassins on clearance, along with everything else in the store. They looked comfy. Was 50% off retail price.

Sharper Image also had noise cancelling headphones (Bose knock-offs) for $70 clearance price (regular $120). Nice stuff.

Still some good stuff in stock at clearance prices in Sharper Image, last time I was there.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                        How did it work out for you?

I tried using it on our little one today. Just a wee bit too large I ended up using it like a towel.

I love it! I used to have one similar to it that I bought off of Home Shopping Network and it's very similar.
                        Now I'm waiting for my ebay purchase of a Cortex Flat Iron. I went by a kiosk at Ala Moana this past week and they did a great job straightening my hair with one...but the price was more than I wanted to pay. Went on to Ebay and found it for WAY less. Hope it works as good as the one at the kiosk.

Comment

Bought all of the above for the grand total of $5.50. All books were 50¢ each and surprisingly for me, CDs were 25¢ each on this the last day of the Friends of the Library Book Sale. The sale closes at 1:30 pm today.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

eric & i went to golden dragon in chinatown for dim sum @ $1.89 each. then we cruised the market for 2 broccoli heads, 4 garlic heads, a big bunch of mint, a fist sized young garlic root, a bag of six jalapenoes, a generous pound of shallots and a pound of bittermelon for less than eight dollars total. what a bargain!

Comment

reviving this thread to share about hawaiian bath and body, whose factory is open to the public and located in waialua, oahu.

while their products are readily available in stores like down to earth, whole foods and other brick and mortar locations around the country, including via their website, i never really noticed them before. however, i really fell in love with the soaps when we visited the factory and got to try their products in-house.

i think their stellar product is their waialua coffee scrub soap. it smells wonderful when you're washing but leaves no scent on your hands after you dry them, suds creamily, and this particular bar of soap is actually quite good at removing stinky smells from your palms that might result from cooking (like chopping garlic). the soaps are pricier than your typical ivory or dial at the drugstore but if you want something to treat yourself with, this is great. what's bonus is that some of them are appropriate for use for hand, body, and hair, and the soap descriptions will tell you what each ingredient does and what kind of skin it's good for. some customers have have written testimonials about how hawaiian bath and body's soap have helped drastically with problems like dryness and psoriasis.

additionally, if you go to the soap factory itself, you might be lucky enough to get some items on sale. just before christmas, we picked up eleven bars of soap (waialua coffee, waialua sugar, kane kine, cool mint, pikake, mango papaya were some of the scents), two cute little wooden slipper magnets, a lip balm, and two bars of waialua chocolate company chocolate bars plus the soap sampler (which, by itself, normally costs >$12) for about $95--gifts for six people. how's that for a bargain!

Comment

I bought a KFC twister for lunch today. It made me happy, so it gets some props here.
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X