Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW! Liberal Cornell President Rips Ahmadinejad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WOW! Liberal Cornell President Rips Ahmadinejad!

Steering us firmly back on track (mea culpa for the various thread derailments I've been responsible for) here is a delightfully erudite essay about the little dictator's visit to Columbia by Roger Kimball.

An excerpt: "President Bollinger's sophomoric conception of free speech is precisely the sort of supine intellectualism that, if consistently embraced, would make free speech impossible. President Bollinger primly lectures us that "It should never be thought that merely to listen to ideas we deplore in any way implies our endorsement of those ideas, or the weakness of our resolve to resist those ideas," etc. But he is quite wrong about that. By providing a madman like Ahmadinejad with a platform at Columbia University, President Bollinger has in effect welcomed him into the community of candid reasoners. He has granted him a patent of legitimacy that no amount of "dialogue and reason" can dissipate. In this case, "listening" is indeed tantamount to an endorsement. It reduces free speech to a species of political capitulation and renders dialogue indistinguishable from a suicide pact."

Read the entire piece.

Comment

Re: mis-named thread for hate-mongering

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
      Dont forget the Democrat commercial/political complex like HMSA which owns the legislature and screws the peasants.

And what about the old Bishop Estate? Not exactly a haole republican halliburton but in control of the Hawaii Plantation Asian Democrats for 25 years or more.

Now HGEA isn't a business but they definitely control the legislature and line their pockets as a result. Best pay and benefits in the entire USA! Arigato.
      WOW!!! I neba know dat...I'm shua learning.

Moa...please. I'm hungry foa MOA!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        Steering us firmly back on track (mea culpa for the various thread derailments I've been responsible for) here is a delightfully erudite essay about the little dictator's visit to Columbia by Roger Kimball.
        glossyp,

I can see both arguements for and against even giving this nutcase the podium. I think in most cases, Roger Kimball would be right. But their are some real unusual elements to this one.

First is the fact that while we consider Ivy League American universities to be bastions of intelligence, truth and free thought, the fact is American Universities have leaned so far left that they have become restrictive and intellectually repressive. That gave Ahmedinajad the false sense of security to agree to speak. Up until that speech, he has manipulated the media with ease to his own benefit.

Second as hateful and vitriolic as he is, Ahmedinajad has kept his own hands (not mouth) fairly clean. He is the liar for the Ayatollah. Others do the dirty work and he just denys it existence. So he hasn't attacked Israel yet, he hasn't got the bomb yet, and he hasn't personally hanged a gay or a jew. So how can we say we are a free country if he hasn't done anything yet. He's like the KKK who want march and have done nothing illegal that we can prove. We have to let them march.

Fortunately, one liberal found himself and was willing to let free speech fly.

Bottom line is that the outcome justified the decision to allow him to speak. Something tells me he won't be doing any speeched in America anytime soon.
        Last edited by kamuelakea; September 26, 2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Dont forget the Democrat commercial/political complex like HMSA which owns the legislature and screws the peasants.

And what about the old Bishop Estate? Not exactly a haole republican halliburton but in control of the Hawaii Plantation Asian Democrats for 25 years or more.

Now HGEA isn't a business but they definitely control the legislature and line their pockets as a result. Best pay and benefits in the entire USA! Arigato.

You always lack the balance Miulang.

But no worry, I'll be here to catch you.
          Eh, I neva say the Demorats are perfect angels, either. You know the saying, "Power corrupts--absolutely"? That's what happens when people in power think they can, through coercion and deceit, subdue the will of the people. You call it the "plantation mentality" where the sugar barons and lunas taught the workers not to think for themselves because Papa will take care of everything. For Hawai'i, ke Akua, I see some glimmers of hope that the balance of power goes back where it belongs...to the people who have to live with the consequences.

Just look at the HSF case. You got people from both political parties (the Republican governor, and a Democratic Chair of the House Transportation Committee) colluding to further the financial interests of a private business.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; September 26, 2007, 07:55 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            For Hawai'i, ke Akua, I see some glimmers of hope that the balance of power goes back where it belongs...to the people who have to live with the consequences.Miulang
            What balance of power? Wot 3 republican senators? I forget. The national republicans took complete control of the Pres, Senate, Cong for what 7 years? And look at the mess that just a bare majority created.

Hawaii has been a 90% Democrat state for 50 years (until Linge Gov). Thats over 2 generations!!!!! Thats why the damage is engrained. Its brain damage at this point.

Comment

What balance of power? Wot 3 republican senators? I forget. The national republicans took complete control of the Pres, Senate, Cong for what 7 years? And look at the mess that just a bare majority created.

Hawaii has been a 90% Democrat state for 50 years (until Linge Gov). Thats over 2 generations!!!!! Thats why the damage is engrained. Its brain damage at this point.
              If your Republican governor actually follows through with a call to hold a Constitutional Convention in the next couple of years and get some new rules in place (like the ability for individuals in the State to have initiative and referendum power), the maka'ainana, if they have the energy and passion that they have shown on Kaua'i, actually can force the Legislature to be more responsive to the will of the people. Right now, the people only have the power that their elected representatives have, and until people like Uncle Joe retire or get booted out of office, you're right, nothing will change.

If there's a Constitutional Convention, I can think of several people who post here who would make great representatives to that Convention, maybe even you.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                If your Republican governor actually follows through with a call to hold a Constitutional Convention Miulang
                maybe, and she isn't MY Republican governor. I voted for Bulaia. For real! I vote for greens, Home Rule, Aloha Aina. Anything but a Plantation Asian Democrat. Why? Not cuz I hate Plantation Asian Democrats. I am part PAD my self. But I am a 2 party believer. Has to be 2 parties with enough power to scrap da odda buggah. Right now, no moah.

Comment

maybe, and she isn't MY Republican governor. I voted for Bulaia. For real! I vote for greens, Home Rule, Aloha Aina. Anything but a Plantation Asian Democrat. Why? Not cuz I hate Plantation Asian Democrats. I am part PAD my self. But I am a 2 party believer. Has to be 2 parties with enough power to scrap da odda buggah. Right now, no moah.
                  Good for you! I knew your heart was in the right place, even the times when you play Devil's advocate.

Miulang

Comment

fascUSt$' denial , Re: mis-named thread for hate-mongering

fascUSt$' denial , Re: mis-named thread for hate-mongering
                    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power."

It is more logical to write: === Corporatism is fascism because it is the merger of state and corporate power. === Six years ago from member access at britannica.com the version was "Corporatism is fascism," Benito Mussolini, as something he was to have said not written.

Of course the definitions of words are the result of how people use those words to communicate with one another; definitions are not written in stone, perpetually immutable.

It is notable that when one does a search for Corporatism on britannica.com the search results take one to Fascism. Would it not seem that if Corporatism is not significantly the same as Fascism that Corporatism would have its own page?

"...difficulties (in defining fascism) arise because there have been few self-identified fascists." What? No self-identified fascists? Does that mean there no fascists? no corporatists, no fascists because no one identifies themselves as such!? If that is so, then there are no war criminals either since who is going to declare: "I am a war criminal." ?

And the cheneybUShrael regime is not a regime because it does not identfy itself as such. They are not war criminals because they do not declare themselves such. Conversely, they are spreading freedom and democracy because they say they are: hundreds of thousands murdered and maimed Iraqi and Afghans, millions of Iraqi, Afghan, Palestinian exiles, billion$ in destruction, millions upon millions of life-long haters of the United States created and promised for generations to come, but let us bow our heads to Almighty and call it Freedom, not War Crimes.
                    Last edited by waioli kai; September 26, 2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

faux news' bull orally criticized columbia and bollinger for allowing ahmadinejad a high profile podium from which to speak...and moments later, mr. "I think black Americans are starting to think more and more for themselves," bragged that he had asked ahmadinejad to appear on his show...

video here.

i'd call that fairly unbalanced on b.o.'s part.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn;167179"[URL="http://mediamatters.org/items/200709210007"
                        I think black Americans are starting to think more and more for themselves[/URL],"
                        I am glad leftwing attack groups like mediamatters exist to keep the nuts on the right in check. But everyone should know that mediamatters is an aboslute left wing extremist attack group. Their job is to bring down public figures on the right. That's fine. Just evaluate their opinions through that prism.

Heres another media matters link:

http://www.themediareport.com/mediamatters.htm

BTW, Bill O and Al Sharpten are both one in the same. Showmen. Can't stand listening to either one.

Comment

jUSt listening = endorsement

jUSt listening = endorsement
                          \quote=glossyp= " In this case, "listening" is indeed tantamount to an endorsement. It reduces free speech to a species of political capitulation and renders dialogue indistinguishable from a suicide pact." ==/quote

Not to start an off-topic discussion in this thread
                          • (after this question I'll move it to the appropriate thread)
                          but ?Why does not the same reasoning from glossyp's quote apply to Oahu's neighbor island citizens when they are expected by off-islanders (those not of their own island) to merely listen to Lingle tell them what's she has planned for them to accept, welcome and live with for the rest of their lives and their children's lives?
                          Last edited by waioli kai; September 27, 2007, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X