Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was my Hawaii trip false? sheltered? naive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Was my Hawaii trip false? sheltered? naive?

Not to mention the articles in today's SB and Advertiser about our having the highest median rents in the country. $995/month? Eeek. I haven't rented in a long time so that was kind of a shock for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      Not to mention the articles in today's SB and Advertiser about our having the highest median rents in the country. $995/month? Eeek.
      Sigh...I miss the times when I was paying rent that low here...

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
        Sigh...I miss the times when I was paying rent that low here...
        I can imagine how much you would "sigh" if I told you some of the rents people pay for living in Public Housing. Then again, living in P.H. is a whole different ball game. heheheh

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          I can imagine how much you would "sigh" if I told you some of the rents people pay for living in Public Housing. Then again, living in P.H. is a whole different ball game. heheheh

Auntie Lynn
          No tease us Auntie...

You have told me...!!! and If I were eligible.... I would take it in a heartbeat!

Your 3brm was MUCH cheaper than my 1brm if I remember correctly!

Question... aren't the units there rented on sliding scales? Or does everyone pay the same rent depending on the amount of rooms?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            No tease us Auntie...

You have told me...!!! and If I were eligible.... I would take it in a heartbeat!

Question... aren't the units there rented on sliding scales? Or does everyone pay the same rent depending on the amount of rooms?
            No tease us Auntie...

Rent is calculated by each household's income minus certain allowances. The size of the unit is decided by the amount of persons in the family. In my case, I have a three bedroom because my children were with me when I moved here. They no longer reside with me. I've been on the waiting list for a one bedroom for the Disabled for several years.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

No tease us Auntie...

Rent is calculated by each household's income minus certain allowances. The size of the unit is decided by the amount of persons in the family. In my case, I have a three bedroom because my children were with me when I moved here. They no longer reside with me. I've been on the waiting list for a one bedroom for the Disabled for several years. The last time I checked...the waiting list is over ten years.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Honolulu wages 3% more than annual wages.
                Heck, that is immediately offset by our "excise tax" system, where the same dollar is taxed over and over again. The buyer of a product pays a 4% "excise tax" (not a "sales tax") to the state when buying the product. The seller pays an additional 4% to the state on the sale (because it is income to the seller). And if the seller of the product uses the income to pay a contractor or farmer or other "non-employee" type person, the recipient pays another 4%.

Sorry to digress....

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                  Heck, that is immediately offset by our "excise tax" system, where the same dollar is taxed over and over again. The buyer of a product pays a 4% "excise tax" (not a "sales tax") to the state when buying the product. The seller pays an additional 4% to the state on the sale (because it is income to the seller). And if the seller of the product uses the income to pay a contractor or farmer or other "non-employee" type person, the recipient pays another 4%.

Sorry to digress....
                  What you have said here is the same in many other state in the union. We pay the same thing where I am. As a buyer, we pay tax when we buy a product. As a seller of a product or service, I pay tax to the state on the income. And as a contractor... you have to pay tax on the income you accepted for your service because that is income.... as an employee, you pay tax both federal and state on the income you made.

So, this is just not in Hawai'i alone. It is done all over the U.S....
                  Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu View Post
                    So, this is just not in Hawai'i alone. It is done all over the U.S....
                    No, not quite.

Big difference here is that you pay tax on damn near EVERYTHING. Groceries, rent, visits to the doctor, etc, etc, etc.

This article explains it in more detail:

http://starbulletin.com/2003/03/16/news/story6.html

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu View Post
                      What you have said here is the same in many other state in the union. We pay the same thing where I am. As a buyer, we pay tax when we buy a product. As a seller of a product or service, I pay tax to the state on the income. And as a contractor... you have to pay tax on the income you accepted for your service because that is income.... as an employee, you pay tax both federal and state on the income you made. So, this is just not in Hawai'i alone. It is done all over the U.S....
                      Hawaii is different in that we have an excise tax, and the structure is different than a sales tax. "Sales tax" taxes at the point of sale, but "excise tax" taxes at every turn. Also, the excise tax that is paid by an independent contractor or self-employed person is in addition to federal and state income taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        No, not quite.

Big difference here is that you pay tax on damn near EVERYTHING. Groceries, rent, visits to the doctor, etc, etc, etc.

This article explains it in more detail:

http://starbulletin.com/2003/03/16/news/story6.html
                        Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                        Hawaii is different in that we have an excise tax, and the structure is different than a sales tax. "Sales tax" taxes at the point of sale, but "excise tax" taxes at every turn. Also, the excise tax that is paid by an independent contractor or self-employed person is in addition to federal and state income taxes.
                        Thank you for the information.
                        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Update:

I took everything in to consideration and used the fact that I was depressed from Hawaii and thinking bout quitting my job to negotiate a raise to $75,000 / year. At this rate I think its not realistic to move to Hawaii until if/when I am making real money that doesn't tie me down to a daily job. I guess for now I will just come to Hawaii to play and enjoy what it has to offer. I have been really wanting to visit lately due to this cold spell hitting California as of recent.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Comment

I don't want to backtrack, mjj, but I have a question.

You said you met some cool people who gave you phone numbers.

Where were you when you met these people? How far from Waikiki were you?

I'm just trying to better visualize your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                              I don't want to backtrack, mjj, but I have a question.

You said you met some cool people who gave you phone numbers.

Where were you when you met these people? How far from Waikiki were you?

I'm just trying to better visualize your experience.
                              No problem. I don't mind recalling it. Specifically it was at the Karaoke Hut which I believe was in/near Waikiki. Also some cool people at club FemNu.

I know, I know, maybe we would have instead have been met with lead pipes if we were in another part of the island (if thats what your getting at)

We made our rounds through the island up to the north shore where we went sky diving and all that. But most of the fun was in Waikiki.

Comment

Originally posted by mjj View Post
                                No problem. I don't mind recalling it. Specifically it was at the Karaoke Hut which I believe was in/near Waikiki. Also some cool people at club FemNu.
                                Club FemNu? Yep! It can be real COOL!

HACHACHA!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X