Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

At least when I post drunk, there's always a nugget of what the hell was I thinking? And sometimes a nugget of genius.

But I digress and shall restate that the word haole does not bother me - either when used as a term of affection (my haole buddy) or term of disdain (insert profanity haole.) My belief and original intent was to state that I believe that the term is more often used in a negative light. You may choose to disagree and that's fine - but ask yourself and maybe a few friends this question:

When typically used, does the word haole carry a more negative or more nuetral connotation?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
      At least when I post drunk, there's always a nugget of what the hell was I thinking? And sometimes a nugget of genius.

But I digress and shall restate that the word haole does not bother me - either when used as a term of affection (my haole buddy) or term of disdain (insert profanity haole.) My belief and original intent was to state that I believe that the term is more often used in a negative light. You may choose to disagree and that's fine - but ask yourself and maybe a few friends this question:

When typically used, does the word haole carry a more negative or more nuetral connotation?
      It depends on the adjective that's placed before the word.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think that whenever one uses an ethnicity to describe a person it almost always have a more negative than neutral connotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
          Here in Seattle when I hear it, it is either neutral or with some humor attached. I've heard "f---in'" preceeding it very rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            Sounds like a dismissal to me.
            Repeating: I do not "think dismissing it is funny." Please show me where I said dismissing racism is funny. Or, again, don't.

I don't know why I bother; there's seldom any point to these back-and-forths. They just seem to give certain people the opportunity to mislead others as to what someone else meant, then that person tries vainly to "defend" herself/himself, and so on, and things get heated … and that's not a game I relish playing.

But you go right ahead!

(TuNnL, I tried to PM you with a "nice" note after I posted this, but you're over your storage capacity.)
            Last edited by MadAzza; September 22, 2006, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Look, now you are the ones twisting things, Maddie. You said I inferred that you dismissed Leo’s point, which as far as I can tell, you did. He asked why Portuguese don’t get branded “haole,” and you responded that it was “because racism is inherently illogical.” That, to me, is a dismissal of his point, along the lines of “anyone who uses the word haole is a racist, so stop asking stupid, irrelevant questions, Leo.” Like you said earlier, I was inferring.

That means I could be wrong, but the right thing for you do is explain what you really meant.

Wow, you’re getting to be like Mānoa. I have to spell everything out to you, to say nothing of the fact that now it’s obvious (to me) you didn’t think your dismissal was funny, you just thought Leo’s point was beneath you. (again another inferral)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

• gung-hoUS roarers, , Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

H-A-O-L-E often represents the concept associated with the "American" English letters vocalized to effect a "Hawaiian" sound of the word 'haole' so many gung-hoUS roarers take to heart with such hate --(anti-aloha) whose depth and duration is directly proportionate to the extent to which they ie, gung-hoUS roarers can envision their victimhood and convince the ignorant of their "white" race, an ideology unto itself, that they themselves are victims of evil: eg, the "white" man is of G-d and "the Hawaiian" is wickedly racist, through the eyes of "white" ideologues and they ie, the "white" ideologues believe they ie, the "white" ideologues themselves have the courts to prove it. Perhaps they do own those courts, as they/US of the U.S. own the U.S. Congress and the Presidency Branch, no matter the Repugmocrat claims of there being some fundamental political alliances of difference worthily deemed to be other than monotonoUS.

Those "white" people oddiologues who feel threatened by the concept "haole" are not unduly paranoid, they should be afraid: where haoles/US "white folks" have had relative deficiencies of ill-feelings being directed towards them they invariably fill those deficiencies with well earned, duly deserving hatred directed toward US "haole" nationalists who live as if they are divinely positioned and enabled to advance their self-interests at the costs of others,,, in the case of Hawaii, at the costs of the existence of Hawai'ians in Hawai'i, of Hawai'i itself.
                Last edited by waioli kai; September 22, 2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL

Wow, you’re getting to be like Mānoa. I have to spell everything out to you, to say nothing of the fact that now it’s obvious (to me) you didn’t think your dismissal was funny, you just thought Leo’s point was beneath you. (again another inferral)
                  No, I didn't think his point was beneath me, and I'm pretty sure he understands that. You're the one getting off track, not I.

As I predicted, it's getting increasingly hostile around here. I guess this means you would have turned down my PM invitation, had you received it. Oh, well.

See ya.

Comment

TuNnL thanks for the compliment...Comparing Maddie to Me! Doubt she would feel the same.

But let's get something straight... most of the stuff that you try and spell out for me is drawing you into manoa's own spell.

Seeing how far you take things and how you seem to enjoy your bold print so much to emphatically attempt to point out things that only you are seeing in your own head is beginning to give me a headache!

Now go cry because you probably can't vote tomorrow because you haven't had your ballot cleared with the Capital N and the capital L.

And your acting like a "haole" in my eye when you call people out so specifically like this. (or maybe i just compare you to PJ)
                    Last edited by damontucker; September 22, 2006, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                      Or would you get a ticket for having any variation of a _____ Power sticker in your window?
                      So speak of the devil today I was at WalMart and here rolls in a huge Ford and the biggest "CHOCTAW POWER" sticker I have ever seen! At least 12 inches across and 9 inches high....

Interesting...reminded me of this thread.
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        As I predicted, it's getting increasingly hostile around here.
                        Only because of your attempt to hijack the word being discussed in this thread. See ya.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Waiole Kai,

These American's who you speak of as taking the word Ha'ole to heart oftentimes do so because the word is used in a hateful manner. I don't know that I'd call that anti-Aloha. Your secondary argument serves to support my above interpretation of your posting. (I meant to say, my esteemed extrapilation from your hypothetical presentation of percieved truths and realities is thus presented.)

Aloha,
                          Ragin "Ha'ole" Cajun

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            (or maybe i just compare you to PJ)
                            Or maybe you're just a jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              (or maybe i just compare you to PJ)
                              Using examples like this are wholly inappropriate. I would have gotten the point without you trying to demonstrate it.

I wanted to get back to the topic. Mahalo ke akua we have an ‘Ōlelo emphasis i ka hale. Is it pono to ask for an opinion? For the topic.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Tunnl - you write:
                                I would have gotten the point without you trying to demonstrate it.
                                obviously you wouldn't have.... as I told you the Bold print was irking me in a PM a day before and yet you continued to use Bold... and you replied to me by saying...
                                Sorry you feel that way. It won’t stop or even restrain me from doing it often.

Comment

Working...
                                X