Insect noises at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insect noises at night

I was walking home from Wal-Mart around 11pm tonight and I heard the sound that insects make at night from one of the bushes there. Thing is I don't think there are crickets on Oahu. Any guesses as to which insects like to make those noises at night?

Re: Insect noises at night

micronesians spitting out their bittle nuts! nah joke. it's crikets or lizards. hell, i don't know. good night helen. talk story tomarrows.

aunty lynn aka auntie pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was told it's the geckos.
      ~'Ailina

Comment

There are crickets on O'ahu. A bunch of them live in my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
          I was told it's the geckos.

It's da geckos eating da insects dat make da noise. nature's way of saying; shaddup deah!

Comment

Yes they were probably crickets. One recently found haven in my house behind a baseboard. It's front door was a little valley between one of the tile grout joints and the bottom of the baseboard. At first I thought it was outside but then I noticed that it would stop chirping if I walked past this certain area in the house.

I saw it one day, it was just a little guy not even a half inch. It's like you see it then you don't. Anyway, I thought it was kinda cool to have that chirping but my wife was like "KILL IT ALREADY!". I'm, NO IT'S BAD LUCK! (emergency comeback line).

After about a week, the chirping noise was gone. To think of it, I believe the cane spider that invaded my house a couple of weeks ago (and I mistakenly killed later) ago had some cricket for pupu. The end.

Comment

Of course there are lots of crickets in Hawai'i-I miss hearing their chirping here in Da Big Rotten Apple. But here we get fireflies in some places(Queens)-don't recall ever seeing them back home. Geckos make that clicking sound-when I was in Nepal I heard it, looked up and there was a gecko on the wall. Ho, I was plenny homesick!

Comment

If it sounded like this link http://frogcalls.home.mindspring.com...house.Frog.mp3
                then the sound is from greenhouse frogs a species related to the coquis frogs.
                I started hearing them around my house on the big island about two years ago. They aren't as loud as the coquis and they don't really bother me.

Comment

Probably was frogs. Kauai is much worse.

Comment

In fact, there are hundreds of native Hawaiian cricket species. Wow, I hadn't known that before.

Comment

Working...
                    X