No announcement yet.

How reliable/accurate is Speedtest.net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How reliable/accurate is Speedtest.net?

I have standard Roadrunner that is supposed to provide 5 Mbps/1 Mbps and over the past couple of days, I'm seeing 8 Mbps and higher on the download. Upload speeds are consistent regardless of the test server.

This a local test to Lava.net:

Here is one test to the mainland (East coast):

I'm getting anywhere between 8 and 10 Mbps. The speeds seem higher than what I'm paying for, so I'm just wondering if the test is accurate.

Re: How reliable/accurate is Speedtest.net?

With cable modems, speed can vary based on overall load usage in your area as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
      I'm getting anywhere between 8 and 10 Mbps. The speeds seem higher than what I'm paying for, so I'm just wondering if the test is accurate.
      Time Warner Cable uses powerboost technology to temporarily enhance download speeds. This is why you inflated speed tests.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I pay $50 a month for "broadband" and my best speed is less than 500Kb/sec. Not even 1Mb, not even 1/2Mb. Oh to get true broadband. I'd love to see Google give us rural folk a chance at high speed.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Speedtest.net is a nice tester but I've started to use the below service, which seems more accurate and also give more details:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

Comment

Working...
          X