New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Here's a place for us to discuss music released this year. I always have a hard time compiling my "best of" lists at the end of every year, so I thought if we all collectively commented as the year went along, it might be easier for us. Or for me.

Plus, you just can't listen to everything. So if you want to tell us to steer away from something, or if something's a "get it NOW," please advise!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

I just gave Cat Power's new album, Jukebox, a first listen. It's mellow, spare, and confident. An all-covers album (I dig all-covers albums in confident hands!), it touches bases with Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Janis Joplin, among others. I always give an album at least five listens before I attempt to rate it, but it's an early 8 for me.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Funny you should ask. No fresh albums since 1989's Cosmic Thing. But today on iTunes:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...98102&s=143441

Yup. Bought it in a flash. And the new album is due out by the end of March. I can't wait!

B-52's!
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Also recently bought Ringo Starr's Liverpool 8, new single.

And: Legendary Albums Live: Heart Dreamboat Annie

Oh, yeah. It's good. The album includes Heart doing Misty Mountain Hop (Zep) and Love Reign O'er Me (The Who) covers.

I picked up The Battle of Evermore (Ann and Nancy Wilson) and Immigrant Song (Ann Wilson) as singles to fatten the pot.

And I picked up Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here because it was cheap on iTunes. Not a bad album. Not as good as DSOTM or Meddle, but good.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
          B-52's!
          Also recently bought Ringo Starr's Liverpool 8, new single.
          So...what did you think? How did they sound?

I saw Ringo play "Liverpool 8" on Letterman and on Ferguson last month. You could tell Ringo wrote the lyrics: The words are terrible! So at first, my reaction was, "Holy cow, Ringo still can't sing for crap." Then, "Geez, these are some stupid lyrics!" Then by midway through the song? I was singing along. Couldn't help it. Dave Stewart's melody is so catchy you can't help but enjoy it. And...I guess that says everything you have to know about Ringo. He's not the most talented lyricist or vocalist, but how do you not like him? It's impossible. This was my reaction BOTH times I heard him perform last month.

Oh, and for the band that played on Ferguson, he had this beautiful guitarist/violinist! I have been unable to track down her name. But Ringo played a four-song set that night, and I couldn't take my eyes off of her!
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well, through September of last year I'd bought a fair number of CDs, mostly replacing vinyl copies of things. Since then, I've gotten a few greatest hits compilations (Steve Miller, Carpenters, Clapton).

I'm stuck in the 1970s.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

The B-52's are in TOP FORM. No mistaking it. This new cut is every bit as good as their 1989 stuff, hard rocking, driving beat, catchy hooks, killer guitar work, flat-tone Fred keeping everything moving along. Very cool, can't wait for the rest of the album. And looking at the cover art, the women look FANTASTIC, especially considering how long they've been around. Wheehah!

Re: Ringo. You pretty much said it: Ringo is Ringo. There is only one. How do you not like that guy? The song is OK, I've played it a few times now. I still can't remember much what it sounds like, but it sounded like Ringo and it made me happy. I remember that much.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              So...what did you think? How did they sound?

I saw Ringo play "Liverpool 8" on Letterman and on Ferguson last month. You could tell Ringo wrote the lyrics: The words are terrible! So at first, my reaction was, "Holy cow, Ringo still can't sing for crap." Then, "Geez, these are some stupid lyrics!" Then by midway through the song? I was singing along. Couldn't help it. Dave Stewart's melody is so catchy you can't help but enjoy it. And...I guess that says everything you have to know about Ringo. He's not the most talented lyricist or vocalist, but how do you not like him? It's impossible. This was my reaction BOTH times I heard him perform last month.

Oh, and for the band that played on Ferguson, he had this beautiful guitarist/violinist! I have been unable to track down her name. But Ringo played a four-song set that night, and I couldn't take my eyes off of her!

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                I'm stuck in the 1970s.
                Thanks for reminding me that I need to order the Best Of/compilation CD from The Sons Of Champlin. Anybody else remember them?

Ringo is Ringo. There is only one.
                Which may actually be a good thing. Ringo was, simply, a horrible drummer. He used to take lessons from session monster Jim Keltner during the Beatle days and for a while after. Same time frame that Paul McCartney and George Harrison were taking guitar lessons from Jesse Ed Davis.
                (Don't have time right now to look for links, but will later.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Ringo. You pretty much said it: Ringo is Ringo. There is only one. How do you not like that guy? The song is OK, I've played it a few times now. I still can't remember much what it sounds like, but it sounded like Ringo and it made me happy. I remember that much.
                  He'll be featured on A&E's "Private Sessions" program this coming Sunday morning (2/3/08).

Comment

I'm REALLY into the band DragonForce now. They're a metal band from the UK with 2 speedy speedster guitar players. Everytime I listen to their CD, I want to yell and break something.

I never heard of them, until I heard one of their songs on the Wii Guitar Hero game.

Good good stuff.

DD
                    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                      I'm REALLY into the band DragonForce now. They're a metal band from the UK with 2 speedy speedster guitar players. Everytime I listen to their CD, I want to yell and break something.

I never heard of them, until I heard one of their songs on the Wii Guitar Hero game.

Good good stuff.

DD
                      you forgot SKILLET :P

i like to watch One Tree Hill ..for the music

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Thanks for reminding me that I need to order the Best Of/compilation CD from The Sons Of Champlin. Anybody else remember them?
                        (...)
                        Ringo was, simply, a horrible drummer. He used to take lessons from session monster Jim Keltner during the Beatle days and for a while after. Same time frame that Paul McCartney and George Harrison were taking guitar lessons from Jesse Ed Davis.
                        (Don't have time right now to look for links, but will later.)
                        Okay, "later" has arrived.
                        You can click here for the Sons Of Champlin website, and click here for their Wikipedia bio.
                        Info about drummer Jim Keltner can be found at this link, and an interview in "Drummerworld" magazine is at this link. You'll be stunned at the list of people he's played with -- John Lennon, Manhattan Transfer, Delbert McClinton, the Traveling Wilburys, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Mick Jagger, Joe Cocker, George Harrison, John Lee Hooker, Randy Newman, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, Boz Scaggs, Linda Ronstadt, Ringo Starr, Indigo Girls, B.B. King, Rickie Lee Jones, Freddie Hubbard, Eric Clapton, Ry Cooder, Brian Wilson, Fiona Apple, Neil Diamond, the Bee Gees, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, Rita Coolidge and Harry Chapin, among others.
                        The late guitarist (and full-blooded Kiowa Indian) Jesse Ed Davis has an equally impressive list, as you can see at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          Here's a place for us to discuss music released this year. I always have a hard time compiling my "best of" lists at the end of every year, .....
                          I haven;t bought much new music so far this year. I tend to be "single track" oriented, so often for artists that I may be a bit interested in, I'll opt to buy a single track from either iTunes or Amazon. Lately Amazon because all of their tracks are DRM free and some are 10¢ cheaper than iTunes.

I still buy album length CDs when they are on sale at BestBuy (for $9.99 or less), many of them new titles by new artists as advertised in the store's weekly circular. I compare these to whatever is new on iTunes/Amazon and listen to the sample tracks when available. I like hearing full length tracks before I buy an album, but often that is not possible.

Other CDs are just catch ups to round out my collection...older titles that I am still upgrading from vinyl.

In the end, I do compile a list of my favorite single tracks for the year and rip all of my music from purchased CDs to my iTunes with some going into my iPods for regular play.

That all said, so far this year, I have only bought the new Ringo Starr single "Liverpool 8" which I like despite its previously mentioned shortcomings. It's a song about his life and another tribute to The Beatles.

The only other new music I have so far is the new album by Radiohead which someone gave to me as a late Christmas gift. I am not their biggest fan and I classify them as an acquired taste. Still some songs I have found to be good enough to include in my "current hits" iPod mix and loaded into 3 of my 4 iPods. Best tracks to me are "Jigsaw Falling into Place" and "Weird Fishes".
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here's just a gentle reminder that there are other threads where we are discussing our favorites in general and our recent favorites. If we focus our energies in this thread to music released in 2008 (and relevant comments, of course!), we'll have a nice look back at the year in music by the end of the year, or perhaps we'll have forgotten all about this thread. Either way, let's try to keep it to 2008, please?
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I bought Ringo's album today at the iTunes store. Listening to it now. It's a lot lusher than the performances I've seen. The album credits say "produced by Ringo Starr and Mark Hudson" but then "Re-produced by Ringo Starr and Dave Stewart." A quick Google reveals that Starr and Hudson had a falling-out. I have to say the sound is pretty good, especially on that first track.

The artwork is lovely.

The thing about this album is that it seems like an indulgence. True, if any two musicians alive today are entitled to being indulged, they are Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney, yet one almost feels like one is looking through someone's vacation photos much of the time, at least on first listen.

I will disagree with Linkmeister and say that Ringo is an underrated drummer. Some of what he does on songs such as "Obla Di Obla Da," for example, reveal at least a thinking drummer who knows what he's doing.

On this album, the vocals are fine. Given the chance to record as many takes as necessary to get it right, Ringo can certainly hit the notes. He simply can't do it live, but I didn't buy a live album.

So far, so good. Still only halfway through.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X