Hawaii Bowl 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Bowl 2010

It's great that U.H. get an invite to the Hawaii Bowl. What an honor to received such an invitation after being ranked #24 in the nation.

Many of you here are old enough to remember the old days. There was no Hawaii Bowl. What an accomplishment was it for U.H. to go to the Holiday bowl during the Bob Wagner era. That meant something. And other bowl games (Sugar) since also were recognized as something to be proud of.

Hawaii Bowl? Should that be the "Default Bowl?" Can the Hawaii Bowl ever NOT invite U.H. Warriors? No one will go.

So it is about the money, rather than what a Bowl game means as a capstone to an excellent season?

If Hawaii is ranked #24, why isn't there other (mainland) Bowl invitations? Why not? #24 in the nation. How many schools can say that? How many other schools get invited to more glamorous Bowls and are not ranked or with a worst record?

Re: Hawaii Bowl

UH fans has a rep for not traveling to a bowl game except for an once in a lifetime Sugar Bowl at New Orleans. But, can fans travel to Halawa?

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
      If Hawaii is ranked #24, why isn't there other (mainland) Bowl invitations? Why not? #24 in the nation. How many schools can say that?
      Outside of BCS bowls, nearly every bowl is regional. A maximum amount of effort is made to include a team with ties to the area, in order to fill seats. How many schools can say they are nationally ranked? Quite a few, actually. At least 24 others. Are there even a dozen BCS bowls?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Hawaii Bowl? Should that be the "Default Bowl?" Can the Hawaii Bowl ever NOT invite U.H. Warriors? No one will go.

So it is about the money, rather than what a Bowl game means as a capstone to an excellent season?

If Hawaii is ranked #24, why isn't there other (mainland) Bowl invitations?
        You've unwittingly answered your last question with what you wrote two paragraphs earlier.

Yes, the Hawaii Bowl won't attract squat unless UH is involved. Even an unranked, 7-6 Warrior team will sell more tickets than say, a #20-25 ranked school from out of Conference USA or the Sun Belt. Now if you understand that, then why do you think it would be any different for a mainland-based bowl game to place a greater emphasis on attendance over poll ranking when it comes to selecting teams?
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Yes, the Hawaii Bowl won't attract squat unless UH is involved. Even an unranked, 7-6 Warrior team will sell more tickets than say, a #20-25 ranked school from out of Conference USA or the Sun Belt. Now if you understand that, then why do you think it would be any different for a mainland-based bowl game to place a greater emphasis on attendance over poll ranking when it comes to selecting teams?
          Very true. If I was a player, I'm not sure I would be excited about being a part of Hawaii Bowl.

Like you said, 7-6 season or 11-1, same thing. Hawaii Bowl.

If U.H. gets invited to the Holiday Bowl, that would be something, right?

Comment

Very true. If I was a player, I'm not sure I would be excited about being a part of Hawaii Bowl.

Like you said, 7-6 season or 11-1, same thing. Hawaii Bowl.
            It's not about making the players happy. It's all about selling tickets.

If U.H. gets invited to the Holiday Bowl, that would be something, right?
            Being that the Holiday Bowl currently has their bids tied-in with the Big 12 and Pac 10 conferences, I don't see much possibility of UH making an appearance there in the immediate future.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Shameful. We're being totally embarassed on national TV!!!
              It's halftime and Tulsa is winning 27 - 14. UH has made six turnovers. Six! Five interceptions and a fumble. Oh, and we made that lovely punt that went a whole 8 yards. Yes, 8.
              And we're the #24 ranked team in the country?!? After this we'll be lucky to be #124.
              Don't even think about recruiting.
              This is just awful.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Midway through the third quarter, and there's been four touchdowns in just the last two minutes! Tulsa leads 41-28.
                No turnovers since halftime, thank gawd.
                And it's killing me watching this on TV, seeing all the clear blue skies. I'm only ten miles away and it's been pouring rain since the game started!

Comment

Re: Hawaii Bowl 2010

Make that five touchdowns in the last three minutes! Tulsa leads 48-28.

Comment

97 points.

Okay, 97 points total. Tulsa won 62-35.

Comment

Glad I missed it!

Coach needs to sit this next year's team/coaches down soon and completely instill a work ethic like Boise and other top shelf teams or get off the pot, or start smoking it. Getting swelled heads and then killed on National TV every friggin time has got to end now and it starts with Mac.

High 5s to Boise St. for whuppin the Utah St. bigmouths, Wed. Sad how two plays killed their exceptional year and dreams.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Its too bad when a loss comes down to a single player but in this case it pretty much did. I feel seriously bad for him. I wish him all the best, I hope he doesn't beat himself up a lot about this. My heart goes out to him. Enough said.

Comment

There must a curse whenever the UH football team appears on national tv.

Comment

It's not coincidence that the poor performances on national television happen against good teams. UH was better than I expected this year, but they are not in the same class as the teams on most of the nationally televised games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                              Its too bad when a loss comes down to a single player but in this case it pretty much did.
                              Please tell me you are joking. There is no “I” in team, and the UH Warriors are no different. But if you want to get technical, I can itemize a LONG list of players who played a pivotal role in Hawai‘i’s loss.

1. Kealoha Pilares — with an injury sidelining him for the rest of the game, the Warrior offense became one-dimensional, especially in light of the fact that...

2. Rodney Bradley was unavailable. We still haven’t heard why. Grades, maybe? Breaking team rules? Whatever the reason, it hurt. And what about 3. Austin Hansen and 4. Bula Ginlack? Mum is the word from the ineligibles, but certainly Moniz could have used the protection.

5. Bryant Moniz (four interceptions total) and 6. Shane Austin, who both threw picks that led to immediate touchdowns by Tulsa. It should be noted that Moniz was intercepted twice by the same Golden Hurricane linebacker (Curnelius Arnick).

and finally 7. Greg Salas. Greg had a great game statistically, but we expect more from UH’s star player, especially when the only other long target on the field was Royce Pollard. His uncharacteristic fumble led to a Tulsa field goal.

And those are just the players. I’m not so sure Coach Mack had a strategy to neutralize Damaris Johnson who set an NCAA record with this game. Like Ron said, it starts with the guy with the seven-figure salary.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X