HawaiiThreads.com

HawaiiThreads.com (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/index.php)
-   Kaukau Korner (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Brown rice (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=3120)

Glen Miyashiro October 14th, 2004 02:43 PM

Brown rice

I feel like I should know this, but I don't. :rolleyes:

When you cook brown rice in a regular rice cooker, do you have to do anything different? The cookbooks talk about soaking it longer and cooking it longer than white rice, but my fancy high-tech Aroma rice cooker doesn't have any buttons or dials to change the settings. If I just put it in and hit "cook", will it turn out OK?

Miulang October 14th, 2004 02:56 PM

Re: Brown rice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
I feel like I should know this, but I don't. :rolleyes:

When you cook brown rice in a regular rice cooker, do you have to do anything different? The cookbooks talk about soaking it longer and cooking it longer than white rice, but my fancy high-tech Aroma rice cooker doesn't have any buttons or dials to change the settings. If I just put it in and hit "cook", will it turn out OK?

I tink da rice going come out OK. Dakine high priced cooker you get get dakine sensor insai and can detect when no moa anymoa steam and den going turn itself off. Soaking da rice for little while probably wouldn't hurt. I usually use 50% brown and 50% white with da same water measurements and da ting come out perfect.

Miulang

Glen Miyashiro October 14th, 2004 02:59 PM

Tanks eh! I go try 'em tonight den.

craigwatanabe October 14th, 2004 03:10 PM

gotta use little bit more water so when you use the finger method, keep the water going untilllllll yeahhhhhhh okay just past the crease in da finger maybe 1/8-inch more.

glossyp October 14th, 2004 04:36 PM

Soak the brown rice for about 30 minutes (just let it sit in the cooker before turning it on) and add a bit more water as suggested above. Should be fine.

Serenity October 14th, 2004 07:58 PM

This is completely out of the subject, but I just wanted to say that,
everyone here in Hawaii Thread, is so awsome!.
Willing to help out another fellow discusion board member, here.

You all guys/gals are great & awsome. :)

Aloha & Take care. :)

Mocha October 15th, 2004 04:22 AM

Everyone has the right suggestions for the cooking of the brown rice. It takes trial and error sometimes...at times my rice came out like jook (Chinese porridge). Now I have it down pat! And to you Serenity...your signature says it all! ;)

Serenity October 15th, 2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocha
Serenity...your signature says it all! ;)

Awww. Thank you. That means alot to me. :)

I try to be "tranquil" & share it with everyone. :)

Now, for the "local version" :

Eh!, No Stress, k ?. ;)

kamlost October 18th, 2004 07:20 AM

ahh i add just a tad more water and it's perfect!

Glen Miyashiro October 18th, 2004 01:57 PM

Shoots, one of the downsides to having a high-capacity high-tech rice cooker is that the thing holds enough rice for several meals, and keeps it warm so you don't have to cook a new batch every day - which is usually a good thing, but not when it's full of white rice and you want to try out the brown rice suggestions that you got off of HawaiiThreads! I guess I have to wait till we finish all the white rice in the pot first. Thanks everybody for all your comments. :p

Mocha October 20th, 2004 12:48 AM

Don't forget to tell us if the rice came out okay in the fancy rice cooker! :p

hikiee October 25th, 2004 01:06 AM

Cook it with a chunk or two of butter, and it'll be even better

Glen Miyashiro October 25th, 2004 01:35 AM

Almost forgot about this one. The brown rice turned out great! I put in a skosh more water than I would have with white rice, and when it was done it was tender and 'ono. Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.

hikiee: Butter?! Bite your tongue. I get all uji when I hear about people putting any kine stuff into their rice cookers -- it's like they're messing with the sacred purity of the rice. Nothing goes in my rice cooker except rice! :D

kamlost October 25th, 2004 02:23 AM

Glen, you really dont' mix anything into your rice? It is good with butter though. It enhances the rice. If you even mix in a little bit of lemon, honey, sesame oil and chinese soy sauce right before eating. It's great!

pzarquon October 25th, 2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
Nothing goes in my rice cooker except rice!

Guess I shouldn't tell you about my coworker, who can cook a whole meal in his rice cooker, along with the rice. His "seasoned salmon and mixed vegetables" rice combination is especially intriguing...

As for brown rice, we haven't made the jump yet, but plan to. We have one of those fancy 10-cup "fuzzy logic" Japanese rice cookers with a brain probably bigger than mine... at least when it comes to rice! It has different lines inside for everything, from white and brown rice to porridge and mochi and even slow-cooker recipes. FWIW, the brown rice lines are a bit higher for all quantities than the white rice lines.

Glen Miyashiro October 25th, 2004 01:12 PM

You can season your rice after it's cooked -- I'm a big furikake fan -- but not before. Yes, I know about all those heretical make-a-meal-in-your-rice-cooker types, but the idea makes me break out in a cold sweat. In my kitchen, rice cookers are for rice. :p

kamlost October 25th, 2004 07:28 PM

YEs. seasoning after is better :p seasoning before kinda makes the rice a tad mushy. Though, there are asian dishes that are interesting and the rice comes out like fried rice. I would think they were fried rice actually if I didn't see how it was made.

what do you guys think of cabbage rolls stuffed with rice?